Survivor's guilt

Take a look into the life of a not-so-ordninary servant of the light!

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 06 Jun 2010, 07:16

Survivor's guilt

Been a while since I wrote something, had myself a sleepless night now so I figured I'd do something creative. :Q

I hope you enjoy this story (if you are gonna bother to read it :P)... Feedback, comments and constructive criticism is welcome as always :) Also, shameless use of some Mithril Guard characters :Q

Survivor's guilt

Lil sat in a corner of her home in Ironforge, arms around her legs and her forehead resting on her knees. The room was dark, except for a single lit candle on the floor in front of her. She had been sitting like this all day, replacing the candle every time it burned out, thinking of a friend, a friend who had recently passed away. She was crying, weeping for a friend she couldn't save.
- "So now another has been taken, wrested from my hands while I was powerless to do anything about it."
Lil wiped the tears out of her eyes, but it didn?t take long before they filled her eyes once more.
- "Who are they to call troops back to the front only days after they have returned home? That's madness!"
Lil stared at the candle in front of her, before looking across the room to a table where two letters lay, one had been from her friend, stating that there was a call to arms, probably a false alarm. The other had been from her friend's superiors, informing Lil of her friend's death.

All around her, friends seemed to disappear, either to their graves or over the hills and far away. Times were hard indeed, but Lil knew she wasn't the only one who felt like this, everyone knew someone who had died in Northrend or gone off in search of greener pastures, never to be heard of again. Lil felt things she had never felt before now; survivor's guilt, an eerie sense of abandonment and loneliness, and for the first time in her life her thoughts went towards doubting the light and her faith in it. Those thoughts made her uneasy, and in rapid, almost uncontrolled movements, she would pull her hair and grimace.

Lil was getting restless, she blew out the candle and got up, she needed to get out, needed to run. She felt she was beginning to have trouble breathing, nevertheless she almost sprinted out of the house, the sound of her hooves hitting stone floors echoed through the almost empty streets of Ironforge, Lil panted heavily as she ran towards the city gates, she would throw glances from side to side and over her shoulder, look at the guards who were out on their night shifts, who would send her either confused or suspicious looks in return. Every now and then Lil would stumble, but doing everything in her power to stay on her hooves, she gasped for air as if she was being choked. Lil rounded a corner and ran into a rather tall and burly draenei man in plate armor, almost knocking him over, in a split second she looked him in the eyes, the terror in her own eyes strong enough to make the man shiver, she also cut her left palm on one of the spikes on the other draenei?s armor, but she paid it little mind as she ran towards the gate and leaving the man confused and slightly scared. Lil could see the sky outside, at this point she was in full panic and her heart was beating so rapidly and so hard that it felt like her chest was going to explode.

When she got outside the gate she fell to her knees in the snow, the icy wind was howling and Lil gasped for air as she struggled to regain control of her own breath. The two dwarven guards that were posted outside the gates moved towards her.
- "What are you doing, are you alright?" The guards shouted at her through the howling wind.
- "You shouldn't be out here in the blizzard, miss, I suggest you go back inside!" The guards continued to move towards Lil.
- "Stay away!!" Lil pulled the flintlock pistol from her belt and cocked it before twisting her torso around to point the gun at the guards. The guards stopped.
- "Don't do anything you will regret, miss!" The guards pulled their axes from their own belts.
Lil kept the gun pointed at the guards, but suddenly she could hear voices behind her, demonic voices. She turned back around and saw nightmarish apparitions of her own imagination run and float towards her, putting their arms out and reaching for her.
- "NOOOOO!!" Lil screamed and pointed the gun at the apparitions, closed her eyes tightly, and pulled the trigger. The blast echoed slightly in the vicinity before being erased by the wind. Out of the barrel of Lil's gun a projectile of pure light shot off into the night and disappeared along with the apparitions.

The blast knocked Lil down from her knees so that she lay on her back in the snow. The two guards that had been watching the whole time rushed towards her and slapped her in irons before taking her to the Ironforge jail. The guards dragged Lil into a cell and dropped her on the floor before locking the door on their way out. Lil lay on the floor and stared out of her cell.
- "We are all doomed! bounding towards hell and the Twisting Nether! No creature will be spared! Doomed! Hell! Nether!" Lil went on rambling through the night in her delirium, it frightened the other prisoners and the prison guards, the guards would tell her to pipe down every now and then, but she wouldn't respond at all.

The following morning Thane Grov Blackbeard Wildhammer and Captain Grogbe Stoutheart of The Mithril Guard passed through, as they had encountered a troublemaker at Bruuk's Corner and decided to haul him off to jail. They went past Lil's cell and kicked the troublemaker into his own cell, before making their way out again. Grogbe threw a glance into Lil's cell as they walked past. He stopped.
- "Uh... bothh?" Grogbe beckoned Grov over to him and pointed into the cell.
- "Och! by King Magni's beard, wot in blazes is she doing in there!?" Grov exclaimed.
Grov kicked the chair that the jailor sat sleeping on.
- "Oi! Wake oop ye slacker!" Grov shouted at the jailor, who woke with a fidget before standing up and saluting when he realized who he was in the presence of.
- "Wot in tha king's name is she doin' in there?" Grov spoke with a slight hint of anger in his voice.
- "Eh, what, who, th-the lass in cell one?" The jailor stuttered.
- "Yes, ye numbskull!"
- "Eh, she was apparently causin' a distoorbance outside th' gates in the middle o' th' night, tha's all th' guards who brought her in told me."
- "Do ye even know who tha' is?"
- "No, sah!"
- "Tha's Lilandris! th' Lightmancer!" Grov gave the jailor a bonk on the noggin.
- "Never heard of her, sah!"
- "Och! Ye should, ye halfwit!"
- "Yes, sah!"
- "Thir, the thpeakth!" Grogbe patted Grov on the shoulder and pointed at Lil.
Lil started rambling again as she had done before, Grogbe and Grov stood speechless for a moment.
- "She's been like tha' all night, sah." The jailor sighed.
- "Wot happened tae her?" Grov asked and looked at the jailor.
- "Ah dunnae know, ye should ask th' guards who brought her in, sah, their names are on th' shift schedule on th' wall there." The jailor pointed at a piece of paper that hung on the wall over his desk.
- "Reet, ah'll do tha' immediately." Grov stroked his beard.
Grogbe stepped closer to the bars of Lil's cell.
- "Mithh Lil, are ye alreet? Wot hath happened?" Grogbe looked at Lil with a worried expression on his face.
- "Beatrice! Beatrice where are you!?" Lil suddenly curled and sat up, before crawling backwards into the corner of her cell.
- "The lookth crathed, thah."
- "Aye, who is this Beatrice though?" Grov kept stroking his beard, Grogbe and the Jailor shrugged.
- "Mithh Lil, who ith Beatrithe?"
- "Beatrice can save me, yes... I must hurry to Darkshire!" Lil spoke without looking at anyone, her eyes flashing every now and then.
- "Ah dun' think ye thould go anywhere jutht yet mithh Lil." Grogbe scratched his head, Lil didn't respond.
- "Maybe we thould travel tae Darkthire and theek oot thith Beatrithe, thah?"
- "Aye, maybe we should." Grov nodded solemnly.

To be continued... yeah I know... I'm gonna try to finish this one >.<
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Return to Lilandris the Lightmancer