Noirwind

Take a look into the life of a not-so-ordninary servant of the light!

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 23 Oct 2013, 02:00

Noirwind

Been working on this for too long without posting any of it :Q
So what we have here is me attempting a different writing style, specifically a "film noir" sort of style (Yes I will admit Max Payne has given me a lot of inspiration for this piece, don't judge me!)

I hope you guys and gals enjoy it, and that I've somehow magically gotten the style right! (I haven't seen a single "Film noir" film ever you see :P) Oh and the title? Just a working title really, but I'm too lazy to think up a proper title :P

------------------

Noirwind

Things were different these days, people seemed more squeamish than before, scared even. And I found myself in the middle of it, as a candlelight finds itself in a storm, I held firm as best I could, but it was hard not to fall into the same despair that seemed to have overtaken a larger part of the people of Stormwind. But I hadn’t exactly ever been a shining example of a servant of the light anyway, I had a habit of walking my own path for better or worse, I never -was- any holier than anyone else.

The story began with a knock on the door. On the other side was an old friend, Sigmard.
“Lil! They’ve taken her! Someone’s taken Alice!”
“What?” Not exactly the message I wanted in the evening. Alice, a child Sigmard had been looking after for the last few years, had apparently been kidnapped.
“You’ve got to help me, Lil, SI:7 have already given up!”
“That’s bad news indeed, but I don’t see how I can help?”
“Lil, you and Keurlan have an investigative bone or two in ya, at this point you’re my only hope.”
“Keurlan is out of town, but alright, I will help you.”
“Thank you, Lil, I don’t really trust those SI:7 agents anyway.”
“Before I ask you if you have any leads; how is Delandra taking this?”
“Poorly, she’s been weeping ever since Alice went missing.”
“And you?”
“I’ve been stressed to say the least since the letter showed up.” Sigmard rubbed his neck.
“A ransom letter I take it?”
“That’s the odd part of it, it’s not a ransom letter at all, it’s just a gloating letter.”
“Hmm, that’s our way in, then, may I see it?”
Sigmard handed me the letter, the fact that it was a letter at all ruled out a fair bit of Stormwind’s population, at least most of the low-lives. But the handwriting was elegant and faultless.
“By way of the writing style, this looks like a letter Keurlan could have received. Looks like the style of a noble.”
“A noble, why would a noble have my Alice abducted!?”
“I wouldn’t know, but by the looks of this letter; because they can get away with it easily.” I tucked the letter back in the envelope. “Mind if I hang on to this? I’ll compare it to some of Keurlan’s mail and see if I can’t get a better lead off this.”
“Be my guest, Lil... I’d hate to stress ya, but try to be quick about this, eh?”
“I can’t give any promises, but I will give it my best, Sigmard.”
“Thank you Lil, you truly are a good friend.” Sigmard shook my hand with both of his and looked me in the eye, I could tell he hadn’t slept for a while. I gave a smile back to him.
“You should go home and get some rest, and comfort Delandra as best you can.”

After Sigmard left I sat down at Keurlan’s desk, even though I was one of the more prized parts of his life, he didn’t like me going through his things, but he was out of town and what he didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him. I reckoned we kept secrets from each other more often than most couples, maybe that’s what kept the spark going or what was going to be the doom of our relationship in the end, it was probably both. So far it hadn’t bothered either of us. After a while of searching through previously opened letters I found a possible match in the handwriting, while I didn’t really have the eyes for this kind of thing the styles seemed similar enough, however, disappointment struck me as I read the signature, the letter had only been signed “X. I.”. This didn’t get me much further, but it was enough to start looking around. I had been in dark dens before, walked among thieves and lowlives and all sorts of undesirables, little did I know it was nothing compared to the darkness I was about to walk into, the world of the nobles. They say a few bad apples spoil the bunch, but there were more than a few bad apples in this barrel. I didn’t usually harbor hate towards others, but I had never liked nobles, they were more prone than others to be stuck up and have mindsets which told them they were better than everyone else. Granted not all of them are the same, I had friends with noble blood after all, there were exceptions to the rule so to speak.

I ended up walking the streets for a while, they were quieter than usual, on a night like this the taverns were usually busy, but only a few people could be seen entering and leaving them and in the streets overall. The nobles lived in the areas closest to the Stormwind Keep, the keep was a majestic sight as always, but there was something sinister about it at night, like a bad omen. My eyes eventually landed on a silvered plaque next to a door, reading “The Islerock residence”. I lit myself a tobacco roll and stared at the house for a while, through the windows I could see that there was still lights lit inside. I mouthed a prayer before knocking on the door by use of the door knocker in shape of a lion’s head, - these people obviously supported the Wrynn monarchy. A servant opened the door after a short moment. He spoke in that upper class manner that made me want to throw up.
“This is some time to come knocking on doors, state your business.”
“Is this the house of a Mr. Xavier Islerock?” I decided to put on a little act, I didn’t have any business here, not that concerned the servants and other residents in any case.
“It’s Xavius Islerock, as a matter of fact, now what do you want?”
“I need to speak to him in private.”
“You don’t look like a messenger, I’m afraid the master isn’t seeing liars and vagrants today.”
“Do I look like a vagrant to you?” I motioned to my clothing, the holy robes. “I’m investigating a disappearance on behalf of the cathedral.”
The servant stood silently for a few seconds, his suspicion was almost palpable. Then he spoke again: “Well, the master is out of town as a matter of fact, I will tell him you were here when he gets back. Good night.” The servant slammed the door shut and locked the door.

There was no point in sticking around, I wandered home and went to sleep, however my sleep was soured by a bad dream which woke me up quite early in the morning. I noticed Keurlan sitting in the corner of the room, he’d been watching me sleep for a while.
“Bad dream, Lil?”
“I’m afraid so.”
“Now, what was my little bird up to last night, if I dare ask?”
I didn’t know where to start at first, Keurlan’s relationship with Delandra and Sigmard had difficulties, I usually tried to avoid conversation topics that Keurlan didn’t like talking about. However, he continued before I could collect myself.
“You do know how to stir up the silithid’s hive, don’t you Lil? Knocking on doors at late hours and poking your nose in the nobles’ business.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“What you’re doing will have repercussions, Lil, and I’d rather not have to clean up your mess and even risk losing my main source of income.”
“Alice is missing!”
“The little runt Delandra and Sigmard are looking after?”
“Yes, Sigmard came on the doorstep here yesterday, out of his mind and nobody else to turn to!”
“You don’t need to shout, Lil.” He kept his usual calm demeanor, slightly to my annoyance. “I can see in your eyes where you’re going with this. But why should I help them get Alice back?”
I was gonna have to persuade him.
“Well, blood is thicker than water, there must be -some- part of you that cares about your sister? And if not, would you do it for -me-?”
He let out a little sigh, his eyes wandering around the room for a short moment.
“Perhaps you need a little more convincing?” I stood up and walked slowly to the foot-end of the bed, where I let my night gown fall to the floor, I was not so naïve as to believe he loved me just for my heart. He eyed my naked body up and down a few times before standing up.
“You make a compelling point, my little bird.” He walked over to me and kissed me. Then he picked me up into his arms and put me down on the bed again. “I will consider it.”

“Lil, my little bird... We both know that I can’t tell you what to do or not. All I can do, is choose whether or not to tag along.”
I stood with my back to him beside the bed as I got dressed. I turned around to face him before I spoke.
“You love me, there’s no doubt about that, and you love Ianah too, you know what it’s like to have a daughter. I know you don’t care about Sigmard, but you care about what is right and what is wrong when it comes to sons and daughters.” I paused to let it sink in for him. “Sigmard cares about Alice the same way you do about Ianah, he would do -anything- for Alice, to keep her safe, that’s why he came here, to me, to -us-. My relationship with Sigmard has grown ever so slightly more distant after I got into your bed, it took a lot of courage for him to come here and ask us for help, and he wouldn’t do it if there was any other way.” There was a long silence as I finished getting dressed, I walked over to the mirror to fix my hair.
“I love you, Lil, but you know very well that I’m no crusader for ‘the good cause’ like you. In my world, the coin is the king, what hand touched it before mine does not matter. You do realize this is the world you are about to fall into, hm darling?”
“I know, Keurlan, and I’ll admit I don’t know your world too well... I guess I’m hoping for you to light the way for me and lead the way?”
We stood there measuring each other for maybe a minute.
“You make a compelling case, Lil.” He grinned at me. “Sounds like this will be too much fun to sit out.”
“Very well, what do you know about the Islerocks?”
“Not much I’m afraid, they’re very secretive about their business and mistrustful of anyone who isn’t of either their own blood or that of the Wrynn family line.”
“There must be something valuable to know about them in which case, perhaps we could move some coin around and see if anyone is willing to part with information?” I rolled myself a tobacco roll and struck a match to light up.
“I thought you said you didn’t know this world very well, Lil?”
I chuckled at him.
“Get dressed you fool.” We exchanged grins before he slid out of bed to find his clothes.
“Alright, Lil, no need to start with talking to the beggars and lowlives, they barely see that area of Stormwind anyway, we go straight to the top, the Islerocks’ neighbors. I believe I’ve done business with some of them before, let’s go remind them they owe me a favor, hm? Maybe we don’t even have to line their pockets further?” Keurlan gave a smile of smug contentness.
“We can hope, no?” I smirked back at him.
Keurlan walked into the next room where his desk was, I heard him rummaging through it and grabbing some papers, no doubt letters or contracts involving the people we were about to go pay a visit.

The Islerocks’ neighbors were a family of people who were seemingly like every other noble, nothing special, and as such they also had their own secrets. On their door was a plaque with the family name in golden letters: “Suronich”. Keurlan knocked three times on the door, which was about his size.
“Follow my lead, Lil” he said with a glance over his shoulder at me. I figured I was about to see a side of my boyfriend that I rarely saw. “And do play along, I’m sure we’ll have fun.”
The next moment the door was opened by a butler in a black formal attire. Keurlan marched right along inside and I followed.
“Evening Nigel, we’re here to see your master.” Keurlan spoke at the butler without even looking at him, however he slipped two gold coins into the butler’s hand as he passed him. “Oh, and go take a walk and a smoke, Nigel. We’ll be a few minutes.”
The butler just nodded, grabbed his coat from behind the door and put it on as he went out the door behind us. We made our way through the hall and to the study of the house, all of the house was decorated with sickening portraits of sons, grandfathers, uncles, all of them dressed in mustard-yellow vests, coats and double-buttoned, uniform-like jackets. I figured it was the color they could find for textiles that was the closest to gold. Nobles were all the same. As we reached the study, Keurlan pushed the double-doors open so hard they went around their hinges and slammed into the wall with a loud noise.

At the far side of the room was a desk, and behind it sat the master of the house, Marnyck Suronich “himself”. His head jolted up from his papers at the sound of the doors opening.
“What is the meaning of this!? Keurlan! What in the name of all that is holy are you doing here!?” He spoke with inquisitive anger.
Keurlan didn’t speak until he was close enough to the desk that his knees were rubbing against the mahogany wood. Keurlan already towered above humans, but Mr. Suronich was a short man, and sitting down didn’t help his case either. Keurlan tilted his head forwards to look down at him, his head blocking out the light from the chandelier, which was the only light source, giving Keurlan a very imposing shadowy figure.
“The only person in this room with authority on the matters of the holy is the lady over yonder.” Keurlan folded his arms across his chest “But let us talk about other things. Say, do you remember last October?”
“What are you getting at, Keurlan? Sounds like you’re after something... Something that I’m reluctant to give you.” Mr. Suronich leaned back in his chair, like someone believing he has the upper hand at a card game. He didn’t look like he was good at playing cards.
“Do, you, remember, last, October?” Keurlan spoke louder, articulating every word.
There was silence. I decided to break it.
“Answer the question, Mr. Suronich.” I kept a calm tone, no reason to raise my voice yet.
Mr. Suronich sighed. “Yes, I remember last October.”
“Good!” Keurlan cut him off before he could continue “And yes, I still have the letter.” Keurlan tapped the left chest pocket on his jacket.
“Why are you trying to intimidate me, what are you after?” Mr. Suronich leaned forward onto the desk again.
“Who said we are here to intimidate you? Intimidation has such a bad reputation, everyone thinks it’s such a bloody affair. All that really has to happen is that I or this lovely lady here asks a question, and you answer. Now tell me, Marnyck... Do you need intimidation?” Keurlan was giving him one of his stone cold stares.

Mr. Suronich swallowed. There was another short silence, I could sense all the way from the other side of the room that Keurlan was enjoying himself. I saw no reason to spoil my boyfriend’s fun, maybe I’d even add some pride on top of it for him.
“How about you start talking now, Mr. Suronich, what do you know about the Islerocks next door?” I walked over to the window on the right-hand side of the room and pulled the curtains aside.
“They’re avid supporters of the Wrynn monarchy, one of the richest family lines in Stormwind. They have influence in many parts of the city’s bureaucracy.”
“Have you seen or heard anything suspicious?”
Mr. Suronich paused, choosing his words.
“‘Wretched is the one who sows seeds against his neighbour.’” He was playing the last ace on his hand.
“‘Lost are the ones who oppose the light’s justice for their own ends.’” I turned my head to look at him with a cold stare of my own. “Are you trying to protect people who scheme in the dark?” I had a whole deck of aces to throw at him if I wanted to.
Mr. Suronich had a bewildered look on his face suddenly, I had to admit it amused me.
“You’d do well to listen to what my lady has to say” Keurlan helped himself to one of the cigars from a cigarbox on the desk and lit up with the matches next to it.
“Answer my question, Marnyck!” I turned around properly and folded my arms across my chest.
“I swear! I haven’t seen anything!” Mr. Suronich spoke suspiciously quick, even if he didn’t I wouldn’t have believed him at this point. I strode quickly across the room towards the desk, my hooves like a series of thunderclaps, Keurlan stepped aside to let me pass. I went around the desk to the side Mr. Suronich was sitting and gave his chair a powerful kick, sending Mr. Suronich and the chair to the floor, Marnyck yelped in the fall and the chair sounded like it had been cracked slightly upon my hoof’s impact. Mr. Suronich rolled over onto his back and crawled backwards away from me as I walked towards him.
“Poisonous woman! Have you gone mad?!” Mr. Suronich was fear-stricken now.

I planted my right hoof firmly on his chest and spoke in a darker, angrier voice.
“I tire of you trying to play us for fools! I can tell you’re lying, now you better start telling us the truth...” I pressed my hoof down harder on his ribcage. “...Or I will plant a hoof in your backside so hard you will be branded like a cow for the rest of your pitiful life!”
Keurlan gave a short, amused snicker.
“Alright! Alright! I-.. I-”
“Get to the point!” I spoke louder, my face was twisting into a slight snarl, I’d had enough of his nonsense and foolishness.
“I saw a man at their door the other day! One of their bureaucrat contacts, one of the higher ups in the census office! He usually only visits them during Winterveil.. uh.. And when they have newborns, new family members! He had his bag of writing utensils and papers with him that day! I swear that’s all I know.”
He looked like he had told us all the useful parts now. I took my hoof off his chest and straightened myself up.
“Good, now if any word about our little visit here leaves this house, we’ll be coming back soon, understood?” I stared him in the eye, my eyes flashed at him once. “Understood!?”
“Y-yes! Yes, of course!”
“Excellent, let us leave, Lil, we have what we came here for.” Keurlan spoke in a nonchalant voice. “I’m sure Mr. Suronich here won’t give us any trouble.” Keurlan gave a wicked smile at Mr. Suronich on the floor. I nodded at Keurlan, then I looked back down at Mr. Suronich. I spoke in a cold voice.
“Oh, and mustard yellow REALLY isn’t your colour.” I stormed out of the room, Keurlan was not far behind.

Too be continued!

Also, feel free to (please!) bug me to finish this if I seem like I'm not working on this, I really do want to finish this, and a little pressure might do me good :Q
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Return to Lilandris the Lightmancer