Tormeron's events: the Stories

It's happy hour, the alcohol is flowing. It's time to pull up a tankard of ale, bottle of wine for the ladies and regail tales of heroism and grandeur.

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 06 Feb 2015, 18:16

Lilandris

I'd taken it upon myself to keep an eye on the perimeter the first day, I'd packed my long-rifle for this occasion. It didn't see much use these days, I'd realized I rarely needed it, since encounters usually took place on short enough range for other weaponry to be used.

I often sensed necromantic power threatening the group down in the village. I had to resist the urge of running down there and aid them directly, I needed to keep my eyes out for other undead threats or the like - they are far too plentiful up here in the cold lands of Northrend, and they could sometimes show up with little warning to prey upon an unweary group of travelers. No, I'd have to trust Thelarwen to handle the necromantic threats to the group for now.

I often felt restless, keeping the perimeter was not as exciting as I could have hoped. But I suppose that was a good thing. On the far ridge from the village I had a good view of what went on in the village as well as over the tundra expanse behind the ridge and beyond. I heard the distant sounds of fighting in the village, no doubt my companions had engaged the enemy down there, but at the top of the town hall spire, with his back to me, I could see what was unmistakably a necromancer chanting his dark magics down at the village. I could not pass up an opportunity with such a clear shot, so I knelt down and steadied my rifle at him, beside the faint sounds of growling ghouls and swinging of steel and magic, all I could hear was the surprisingly gentle, but bitingly cold breeze. I didn't trust my aim to hit him in the head, but either way, if I could tear out his heart with the shot, that would be the end of him either way.

I cocked the firing mechanism into place and put my finger on the trigger. As I held the rifle as steady as I could, I squeezed the trigger gently until the rifle fired with a cacophanous bang. The necromancer was clearly struck by the bullet as he tumbled over the railing of his vantage point and down to the rocky ground below. I could only grin with satisfaction from ending his filthy existence. I'm not sure if the others even knew he was there or noticed my intervention, for they were already on their way inside the mines. They would be on their own in there, no way for me to support them from here. So I turned my attention back to scouting around.

After a short while, I noticed a pack of ghouls closing towards me in the distance, perhaps they had heard the gunshot or maybe they'd just smelled the blood of the living nearby. I readied my rifle once again to see if I could pick off a few of them at a distance before they would catch up to me. I'm not one to run from the undead, especially not the lesser ones.

"Be released, you poor souls." I uttered at them calmly before I started taking my shots. I missed three shots, but the remaining six struck their targets true. As the rest of the ghouls were getting close I slung my rifle over my back and readied my Scourgebane grenades. I threw the potato-masher-like grenades towards them. Being ghouls they didn't even try to get out of the way, so a few well placed ones would take them out quickly. No sooner thought than done, eventually they all lay re-dead in pieces on the ground a few paces ahead of me. I bent my knee to pray for the lost souls, but I suddenly felt the ground rumble... It would seem my explosives had found weak ground to break loose. I gasped and my heart froze for a second in horror, realising that my friends and not least my wife was down in the mine below. I had little time to think about what to do, so I just ran away along the ridgeline away from the rocky ground that was ready to give away. As I got to safety I turned my gaze to the village and the mine entrance, to my greatest relief, I saw everyone make it out safely. I could do nothing but fall to the ground in a combination of relief and exhaustion as I tried to catch my breath.

The Light had been with us today.
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Return to The Shady Rest Inn