A hired hand

It's happy hour, the alcohol is flowing. It's time to pull up a tankard of ale, bottle of wine for the ladies and regail tales of heroism and grandeur.

Topic/Postby Darael » 19 Nov 2008, 11:09

A hired hand

The river I'm bound to be found in,
A rope chosen bound for the hang
When I'm blinded I think I see everything
Convincing myself again

This god that I worship
This demon I blame
Conspire as one
It's exactly the same

Chapter 1
A hired hand

With an enormous bang the stick of dynamite exploded, spewing all kinds of debris in all directions. Forlox barely managed to cover his eyes and mouth, but the dust and smoke still made their way into his nostrils as he began to cough. When the dust had settled he tried to open his eyes, only to see the gnome prepare another stick for him to practise with.

“Are you mad?!” Forlox said in a somewhat louder voice then he meant to. “That thing could’ve taken my eye out!”. The gnome grinned at him as its eyes lit up like a Winterveil tree. “I know, wouldn’t that be great!”. Forlox sighed as he took the next stick from the little man and lit it, before throwing it down into the canals below him to avoid another wave of debris hitting him in the face.

He had recently taken up the art of engineering, and was now a pupil of the selfproclaimed Mekgineer Sparkwhizzle. The little man tried to learn Forlox everything he knew, which surprisingly involved a lot of explosives and not a small amount of weird contraptions he had never even heard about, let alone know how to operate them. Despite Forlox’s weird encounters with gnomes, he felt that this could help him in his journey.

That night, while sitting in an inn with his longtime friend Darael, Forlox realised that he’d been different for too long. Soon he would have to stop what he was doing and face the threat that once made him leave his family. “You look troubled friend, what is on your mind?” Darael asked while taking another sip from his Moonberry juice. “Too much on my mind I think” Forlox answered. “I was thinking, maybe it is time that I returned to the order and finished my training.” Darael looked up from his cup, and without saying anything punched Forlox in the face with his fist as hard as a Nightelf can punch. Forlox didn’t even flinch as the fist connected with his jaw, but Darael was visibly in pain from the blow. When he had taken care that his hand was not permanently damaged, he turned to Forlox. “Do you see? You get punched it the face by another man and don’t even flinch. Better yet, you manage to maintain control by not replying with violence.” Forlox grinned at his friend. “It seems you’ve had training enough, you don’t need to go back to the Silver Hand.”

Before Forlox became a “hired hand” he was one of many promising students of Vindicator Man’al, who tought him to wield the Light with respect and dignity. When the first Deathknights set foot on Azeroth to join with the Alliance, Forlox was stunned to see some of his former fellow students walking among them, more proudly then they’d ever been. Former followers of the Light, swayed so easily by the promise of death and power that they’d kill anything for their new master. He could not believe it. He decided to cut all ties with the Silver Hand to avoid having to make the same choice himself and became a travelling Paladin, taking up jobs for a nominal fee. Fortunately, the people of Azeroth always seemed to be in some sort of trouble, so work was never far away.

“Right then, I think I’ll be heading to bed now. That whole dynamite thing tired me terribly, and I have a Blackwater captain to slay tomorrow”. Forlox laughed as his companion threw him a blank stare. “Don’t worry, he’s done plenty of bad stuff to justify his demise”. The two friends said their goodnights and both went separate ways. For a moment Forlox thought of sleeping out of town, but he was too tired to travel now. Maybe tomorrow would be a good day to start on his first pair of goggles, the strange tinted ones appealed to him most…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, this is basicly a quick and dirty way to gove Forlox some more depth. Expect more stories to come this way, but I can't be arsed right now.

Herring!
Hah I even killed a lock once !

But then my guild leader was giving me hard time for not healing him...
Darael
Rhymer

Topic/Postby Sarawr » 19 Nov 2008, 11:38

Fascinating!
Traest wrote:RP is like farting. If you have to force it, it's probably shit.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Sarawr

Return to The Shady Rest Inn