For Darnassus!

It's happy hour, the alcohol is flowing. It's time to pull up a tankard of ale, bottle of wine for the ladies and regail tales of heroism and grandeur.

Topic/Postby Tess » 12 Dec 2014, 01:22

For Darnassus!

"Reinforcements have arrived, protect Darnassus at all costs!" Tessliana yelled across the flowing river's bank, once reflecting the light of moon now only darkness fell upon it.
The fires of chaos and corruption that were beating down on the savage wilderness of Teldrassil had already spread to the gates of Darnassus. The living breathing woods, the colossal ancients, sickened by the taint of this war fell one by one. The sentinels were spread thin, by air and land this threat was too powerful. The Horde had sought revenge and nothing would stop them this time.

"Ready the Glaive's and prepare to fire!" A sentinel sergeant had barked the command from behind Tess. Nareena was her name, not much was known of her life by anyone, all anybody knew was that she was a strong individual person that had given up so much to protect that which she loved. Moonlit white hair flowed down to her waist, stroking the glaives that rested on her hip. She was beautiful even for a Kaldorei's standard. Wherever she walked, the moonlight walked with her, guiding her, it was no wonder she commanded the sentinels everyone looked up to her as a brave and courageous leader. She was battle hardened by the many threats she had faced during the Third War. The Horde, well they were nothing compared to the monstrosities that she'd seen her fellow sisters fall before. Yet for some reason Tessliana noticed a strange look in her eyes that day, a look of regret and depravity that'd she never seen before as if hope itself had been pulled from her soul and left to rot.

"Sergeant, the front gates have almost been breached, there is too many of them, the sentinels cannot hold them off much longer." An anguished cry could be heard from across the battlefield.

"Why am I waiting here? I could be helping hold the front lines." Tess thought to herself however she knew at the back of her mind questioning the sergeant would be an unruly mistake that she would not dare to make, not in the midst of a battle. Tess recognized her place, she respected that although she knew her skills as a huntress could buy the Kaldorei more time. She'd worn the tabard of Darnassus for as long as she could remember, many war's she had fought in and she had succeeded in every one.

"LOK'TAR OGAR!" The battle cry of filth shook Teldrassil itself. She had no time to think. Tess pulled an arrow from her quiver, put it on the arrow rest and pulled back the string of her bow and looked down the sight window. It was an enchanted bow, made with the wood of an old ancient that had stood watch over the Kaldorei for centuries, only recently had it breathed it's last breath and laid to rest by the roots of Teldrassil.

Silence.

All was quiet. Nothing was heard save the wind that passed through the hollow trees around the city.
"Is that it?"
"Were the sentinels successful?"
"Did they repel the Horde Invasion?"

Many of the Kaldorei had relaxed, and begun to praise Elune for saving them from such a tragic defeat. Not Tessliana. She was well aware something was not right, it would seem the Sergeant was also quite aware. None of the sentinels that were protecting the gates were in sight, something had gone terribly wrong, yet not a sound was heard.

"Go check the front lines soldier, something is not right. " Nareena had turned to Tess and had a sense of urgency and panic about her. Strange I have not seen her like this before.. Tess bowed and drew her bow from her back running silently across the green leaves of Teldrassil. Past the temple which was now guarded by a protective barrier, most likely held up by the Druids or even Malfurion Stormrage himself, past the Temple Gardens, now lined with sentinels that the Sergeant had moved. The warrior's terrace, isolated from the rest of Darnassus was a sight of pure horror and dismay. Scattered across the terrace were the bodies of fallen sentinels, the light in their eyes drained by Horde scum. They will pay for this!.

"STORM THE GATES!" The loud noise of a horn was sounded, the gates trembling. They were coming...

"INCOMING!" A Kaldorei look out had yelled from a tree in the centre of Darnassus. Bombs rained down from the skies, crafted by Goblins, they set buildings ablaze, decimated the once beautiful city that had stood for lifetimes and killed so many Kaldorei. Too many to count, this was not a war, this was a slaughter.

"CHAAAARGE!" The sergeant had ordered the troops to wreak havoc upon the devastating Horde army. Glaive throwers were set up, cutting down hundreds of Orcs, Trolls, Goblins and the like. The sentinels now in the heart of battle, combating the massive Horde army. Even the druids had begun to appear from the sky, swooping down to pick off green skinned abominations, one by one. Nareena, rushed past Tess duel wielding glaives in both hands slicing any enemies to get in her way. The sergeant was a machine built to kill and she was definitely serving her purpose. Where was she going? Tessliana lost sight of her as she ventured further through the piles of both horde and Kaldorei soldiers.

Tess jumped up onto the gates, running along them to a tower that would give her a perfect vantage point for both killing and protection. Her purple hair flowed, held back by the tiara she wore on her head, her eyes shone brighter than they ever had before. She was doing what she had always loved, protecting Darnassus and her people for the greater good. Tess drew her bow, grabbed an arrow from her quiver and pulled back the bow string. She smiled. Vengeance.

They fell to her arrows. Not a single shot missed, not a single shot wounded, only killed.

Numbers were thinning. They were winning, not that she had a doubt in her mind. She licked her lips, her hunger for revenge was full. Leaving the rest of the Horde to die by the Sentinels.

And then she saw her. Nareena had gone off alone to fight the commander of the Horde army. A bright green skinned Orc with an eye patch. By the look of him, he was just as battle hardened as she was, wielding a single blade that reflected the light of Elune. The clashing of steel against steel rung throughout Tess' ears, it did not look good for Nareena. The might of the Orc was getting the best of her, he fought off her attacks like swatting flies, they were nothing to him. She had manage to muster up all that she could but failed to score a single blow on him.

The sergeant's might was nothing compared to that of the Orc. With a single swipe he knocked the glaives out of her hand and kicked Nareena to the floor. She was defenceless, he began to make the final blow... An arrow fired from up high, he moved his blade only slightly, blocking the arrow without even a sweat.

"HAHAHA, Do you think a puny arrow will stop me Night Elf?" The Orc locked eyes with Tess
"You are weak and so is your pathetic Commander, you will NOT stop me. I WILL finish her off and then..YOU!" It snapped, raising his blade and going for Nareena.

Tess jumped down from up high, firing an arrow before the Orc, preventing him from advancing any closer to Nareena.

"I thought your Horde fought with honour. Striking down a defenceless opponent is not honourable. You know nothing of the word!" Tess spluttered the words, standing infront of her Sergeant, blocking any attacks.
"I grow tired of talking, come Night Elf just try and kill me." He laughed as he spoke his words, finding the situation amusing.

The Orc let out a might battle roar and charged at Tess, blade prepared to kill. With ease Tessliana dodged every attack that the Orc managed to throw at her, the anger and hatred was growing inside her. Managing to land a few punches and kicks on the Orc, Tess knew she could not win with un-armed combat alone, she had to get up high away from the Orc so she could fire one last arrow. It was then, Nareena jumped from the shadows, grabbing onto the Orc's back, giving just enough time for Tess to enact her plan.

The Orc grabbed the Kaldorei from his back and throttled her. Both hands around her slim pale neck. Her skin and hair were now matching colours, moonlit white she had no life left in her. CRACK! From the trees Tess saw her Sergeant's neck snap to the side, dropping to the floor, a lifeless husk lay on the floor. She died fighting for what she believed in.

A moment. Just one more moment...A little bit more... Tess whispered to herself from the branches of Teldrassil, not taking her eyes off her target. Now.

One single arrow shot through the trees, impaling the floor in front of the Orc.

"IS THAT IT? YOU'RE PATHETIC!" The Orc shouted as he turned all the way around slowly.

He had come face to face with the bow. She let go of the string.
3 people like this post.
Tess
Rhymer

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 16 Dec 2014, 22:11

Very grim, I got to say. But grim scenes shape people better than many others.

Good read :)
Tess likes this post.
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Topic/Postby Tess » 17 Dec 2014, 19:40

For Darnassus!

Thank you, means a lot. I'm not really a writer but it was pretty fun to write this little extract
Tess
Rhymer

Topic/Postby Liandrix » 18 Dec 2014, 02:06

Very few of us are esteemed writers, really, but that doesn't stop us from putting some ink on this forum :) If you enjoy writing i'd really like to read more.
"The motivation to study the Arcane should be born out of the understanding of the needs of those who would be affected by it.."

~ Loremaster Liandrix Emmot
Liandrix
Rhymer

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 18 Dec 2014, 05:58

Liandrix wrote:Very few of us are esteemed writers, really, but that doesn't stop us from putting some ink on this forum :) If you enjoy writing i'd really like to read more.

I second that
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Return to The Shady Rest Inn