Two Knights

What it says in the title. Slow learner aren't you?

Topic/Postby Tiermaya » 02 Apr 2008, 00:01

Two Knights

WARNING: Icoming wall of text: Okay a bit of an explanation. This isn't a story per se but since it deals in character descriptions/backgrounds I figured it belongs here. Basically as some of you are aware I've been planning a Death Knight character called Morawain. However the last too days an idea for another character popped into my head... who is also a Death Knight.

Now since it's liable DKs will be one per server and even if they're not I don't like the idea of leveling the same class twice, I will only be creating one of them. So I'm going to post a summary of Morawain's back story along with newcomer Phina's (best name I can think of right now, subject to change. If anybody can suggest one I like more it will be used.).

What I want from you guys is to post feedback both good and bad, in the hope it might help me choose. And even though I'm not asking you to make my choice for me it would be nice to hear which of the two you like best. Both descriptions assume the point in time at which WotLK is released.

On with the Show!

Lady Morawain Giroval, Matriarch of House Giroval

Race:Human
Living relatives: Nathan Giroval (estranged husband) Tiermaya and Solantra (daughters)
Backstory: Morawain had a rather simple upbringing on a farm in Elwynn. She left this life behind however when The Dark Portal opened and the Horde began to run rampant over Azeroth. Hoping to defend her families way of life she joined the King's armies. She quickly distinguished herself, using fighting finesse to make up for her lack of brute strength, something her foes had in ample supply. Here she fell in love with an officer and made plans to settle after the war. Unfortunately Stormwind Fel to the Orcs and she barely escaped. Her lover didn't.

Shamed by her failure to protect her homeland and grieving for her lost love, Morawain chose not to seek out her family. Instead she joined a mercenary company to continue fighting the Horde. In this company Morawain met and befriended a high elf by the name of Tiermaya. The elven woman found something endearing about the brooding young woman and constantly worked to pull her out of her sullen demeanour.

It was one fateful night in a Lordaeron tavern that Morawain met a nobleman named Nathan Giroval. He was ugly, moronic and arrogant and Morawain took an instyant dislike of him. Unfortunately Tiermaya had been trying to little her mood by pointing out a beatiful young woman such as herself could quite easily get a night of free drinks with only a smile and empty promises. Her attempt at such went poorly and she regretted it the next morning.

The encounter left her with child and after being forced to marry Nathan to secure someway of supporting her child, who she named Tiermaya after her friend, she quickly found herself to be more adept at the politics that spread among the nobility than she may have thought. Her aloof, no-nonsense attitude provided surprising results and she quickly found she became House Giroval's unofficial leader.

After 18 years however Morawain tired of this life. Unable to deal with the intrigues of the rebuilt Stormwinds courts she ran out on her family and joined the military once more. While the years had stolen some of her physical prowess, she had learnt to lead people and quickly achieved the rank of captain of her own regiment, which traveled to Northrend with Prince Arthas' expedition to defeat Mal'Ganis.

There her regiment was wiped out and she found herself lost among the frozen wastes. Eventually, when she lay on the brink of death The Lich King offered her a second chance. All she needed to do was swear to serve him. That day she became a Death Knight.

Imbued with unatural vigor by her new necromantic practices she was a deadly warrior and having been lied to and told Stormwind had been betrayed by the alliance and had fallen once more, she fought the living with a hatred and rage that were terrifying to behold, believing her daughters to be dead.

However events came to pass that showed Morawain the truth and she realised the monster she had become. Having now returned to the alliance she seeks both to atone for her misdeeds and have revenge against the Scourge.

Description:Morawain was clearly extremely beautiful in her younger days, though time and Necromancy have taken their toll. Her once raven hair is now white and slight wrinkles at the corner of her eyes and mouth show her age.

Most notable however is her half-frozen appearence. For a short time Ner'zhul sustained her upon the brink of death until she learnt to do so herself. This means that her heart beats too slowly to sustain any real life and she generates no body heat. She should by all rights be dead and does indeed look as though she were freezing to death. This is emphasised in cold climates where frost forms on her skin and her breath does not mist. Morawain is quite clearly cursed.

Likely quotes: "Form up! Don't let the enemy through! I want those pikes on the front lines now!" "Are you still here? Get lost before I give you something to cry about." "What is redemption? Can you really confine such a concept to a strict set of rules like many religions do? I'll find mine on the battlefield, thank you."

Phina Fizzlespark, Bite-sized Butcher

Race:Gnome
Living Relatives: Rinu Fizzlespark (Sister)
Backstory: Phina is the younger (but taller) sister of Rinu. Where as once Rinu was one of the sweetest and most naive of Gnomes, Phina always had a meanstreak. Interestingly she is every bit as insane as her sister, she just has less excuses for being so.

When Rinu was exiled she never new her sister had been sent to Dalaran to fetch her for the unveiling of her father's latest invention. Having missed Rinu entirely she arrived in Dalaran to find it was about to be besieged by an undead horde. Not allowed a chance to explain her presence and not having time to get out of the Scourge's way Phina was tucked away in dusty old libary by the Kirin Tor, where they hoped she would be safe until they had held off the attackers.

Phina grew bored and annoyed at the libarian's insisted on keeping her there. So she started to explore. To her dlight she found an old axe and decide she could join the fighting. The libarian found the suggestion hilarious and his laughter awoke a part of Phina that should have been left untouched. She took her axe to the librarian and then to the rest of the libraries temporary inhabitants.

Thus a scourge necromancer found her standing amonst many dismembered body parts whispering sweetly to her new weapon. The manic glint in her eyes held a promise the Necromancer could not resist. She was recruited into the scourge and her axe was reforged as a Runeblade. Infused with Dark Magics she demonstated strength and resilience far beyond her Gnomish stature suggested. She very much loved to take her axe to an enemy, harbouring an extremely unhealthy love of slaughter. Her madness became more apparent as filed her teeth to points, combined with her pale skin the effect was highly unsettling.

Eventually the flow of regular enemies dried up and Phina became bored once again. So she turned on her masters. She has returned to the alliance and discovered her sister, who she thought had died in Dalaran (and who in turn thought she had died in Gnomeregan) to be alive. Despite her bloodthirsty nature and friendship with her weapon, Phina is far more stable than Rinu (almost) and finds allies easier to deal with, though they find her grin unsettling. In the mean time the alliance hasd plenty of enemies for her to butcher. As long as they do she won't entertain any thoughts of treason... but only as long as they do.
(already described her really so I'll skip that)

Likely Quotes: "It's annoying me. Can I hurt it?" "*Hefts her axe* This is (still can't think of a name for the axe). Say hello to <insert axe's name here>..... I SAID SAY HELLO BEFORE I GET PISSED OFF!!!" "*holding severed head* Didn't think I could reach that did he?*giggles*"

Finito. All feedback is deeply appreciated.
Serendipity wrote:****ing Royal Mail! They're about as much use as a condom made of tissue paper.
Tiermaya
WOAH-OH-OH-AH-AAHH!

Topic/Postby Nysard » 02 Apr 2008, 01:08

Had a quick read through and both some very good :)

Me personally I like the Phina one as I think the chemistry between her and Rinu would be quite amusing to say the least. The idea of another maniac Gnome running around, especially a DeathKnight one should be a sight to see.

One thing I did think of is that Phina would have served Arthas as a Death Knight who we all know was once a a great Paladin of the Silver Hand, can't imagine how Rinu would deal with that little bit of knowledge.

The Morrowain one was equally as good and I think perhaps the story on how she becomes a Deathknight slightly more believeable. Being Tier's mother could also bring about some interesting in game events, but perhaps not so much as Phina and Rinu as I imagine them two to be really competitive for some reason.

I can't really suggest which one to choose you go with or anything like that, I do slightly lean towards Phina but again can't really choose between them both.

Perhaps you could try writing a few short story's for both of them and see which one you seem to find yourself toying with the most?
Nysard

Topic/Postby Serendipity » 02 Apr 2008, 13:13

Tough choice.... Insane characters are fun to play though!
Serendipity
Blorgh.

Topic/Postby Tiermaya » 16 Apr 2008, 00:07

I'll probably be sticking random stuff in this thread from time to time as I try different things. Can't think of anywhere a new thread would go that'd be more appropriate.

Any suggestions of better homes for this thread are welcome. Anywho decided to do mock ups of the two characters on WoWmodelviewer so I have a visual. The gear is purely fancy and for all I know the expansion may bring new faces or hair styles/colours I think suit better but for now it's what they may look like.

Morawain

Personally I'd rather her be wearing a darker version of the imperail plate set but it doesn't seem to exist. I've realised that female WoW chars either look young or get a granny face. Morawain is supposed to be a very well aged 46 year old (so could probably pass for 30 something) and I think this is the best I'll get.

Still can't get Phina right... may have to wait for the new hair and faces for her as non of the current stuff passes within na million miles of how I picture her.
Serendipity wrote:****ing Royal Mail! They're about as much use as a condom made of tissue paper.
Tiermaya
WOAH-OH-OH-AH-AAHH!

Topic/Postby Tiermaya » 07 May 2008, 20:53

Okay I think I've reached a decision. I'd a while back decided whichever character I didn't create would live on in the stories I write here. Having considered this further I've decided that Phina will get the boon of actually becoming a character. Why? Two reasons really.

1) The main reason I was reluctant to decide against Morawain is because long before they even annouced playable death knights, Morawain was a major part of Tiermaya's background. I've decide (unlike Solantra) she should actually stay that way. By keeping her among the scourge I actually have a very good reason for Tiermaya to go to Northrend. This does mean that Tier will get a little more solemn but she won't be all angsty. An alliance version of Morawain did have that slight risk though (a third reason maybe).

2) In the end while both characters could make for some interesting RP events, that as far as Morawain would be liable to go. Phina on the other hand would also be fun for casual/sponateous RP whenever I feel like it. Mostly because provactive characters often make for the best RP as they give others something to react to and a psychopath like Phina fits that catagory. (Anyone familiar with Full Metal Alchemist might like to know she's partially influenced by the character Barry the Chopper though she possesses a little more restraint.)

I won't be getting rid of the alt holding the name Morawain just yet as knowing me there's a slight chance I'll change my mind. If however any of you decide you'd really like the name for a character of your own let me know and I'll delete the placeholder. It's unlikely she's the only person in Azeroth with that name after all.

Lastly and on a different subject, I'm going to in future refer to Phina as having purple hair in the hope that Blizz will be really nice and allow (among all the new character custimisation options) gnomes to have that hair colour when wrath hits servers. Should they crush my dreams horribly I'll come back and edit all references to her hair to say it's red (as I originally intended). Just thought I'd say so for clarity.
Tiermaya
WOAH-OH-OH-AH-AAHH!

Topic/Postby Tiermaya » 24 May 2008, 17:34

Last post here just to explain what i'm about to do before others see my latest alt in game and go "wtf?"

Phina likes to kill things with an axe. It's that simple. Though she serves (or served) as a scourge officer she only really uses magic for enhancing her strength and resilience, not much else. Now mechanicaly, a warrior would be much closer to what she is than the upcoming hero class. When servering the scourge she did have a trio of necromancers to handle the magic for her most of the time anyway. And I've had more DK ideas recently. So playing Phina as a warrior gives me the best of both worlds really as it leaves me still able to roll one of those characters on Moonglade and still have Phina. On the magic front I can just say the necromantic spells she used were her channeling the power of the Lich King rather than actual magical knowledge granted to her. Having deffected from the scourge she no longer has that option.

So Phina will be running amok in-game much sooner than originally thought. As I said, this is just an explanation of why I'm doing it this way.
Tiermaya
WOAH-OH-OH-AH-AAHH!

Topic/Postby Nysard » 28 May 2008, 17:45

Locked as requested :)
Nysard

Return to The Saga of House Giroval and The Grim tale of Rinu Fizzlespark.