RP tips

Perhaps you've written a guide on a class or profession you want to share. Maybe you're an expert on mods and addons and want to share a guide you've made. If so, here's the place to do it!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 30 Apr 2012, 15:41

RP tips

Greetings Fellow Friends,

here i've got a few tips for you all, some are things you do sub-consciously some are to improve if you think they are smart
anyways,

1. Never, Ever get dragged into a fight with a non RPer, if he just bothers you do one of the following it should solve the problem
a. Ask in whisper nicely for him to leave, so you can resume RPing and he can resume Questing and enjoying the game
b. if a does not work, tell him more direcly that he is bothering you, like if the first one was "could you please leave?" this one will be "you are bothering us, please leave"
c. do not start yelling back at him or cursing, if he continues, first of all if he only bothers you by talking place him in ignore list and tell the friends with you to do the same
d. if he is bothering you beyond this point i would advise you to send a ticket to a GM asking for his assistance.

*note for 1 - if you start getting emotional and want to start cursing, remember that step d. the GM shall see you cursing as well, so he may give you a warning too, so stay polite and nice

2. when approaching someone you wish to RP with, don't say "what's up?" start by something more polite and subtle such as "excuse me?" or "Greetings sir/madam/ma'am"

3. if a non RPer does try to contact you, and you don't wish to talk with him, remember he may be a very nice person TBP so explain nicely that you are an RPer and that if he could please not bother you as you are trying to RP

4. Decide who is your character (i mean as in is he crazy, smart, dumb?) and stick with it! don't change every time, it confuses other RPers and then they don't like RPing anymore with you, as your story changes every time

5. do not start saying ooc stuff in brackets in say, i know sometimes you are with a lot of people around, whisper someone you know that will pass up the message in whisper if someone asks why you are quiet (and some very funny things happen if you don't notify, people start RPing around you not talking and moving which makes more RP and more fun)

6. be realistic, whatever you story is, keep within the possibilities of the world, don't start saying, "i was a flying baby until i became an adult then they cut out my wings and turned me into a murlock and cooked me" (i know that was over the edge, but i wanted to emphasize my point)

7. help when you can, you know sometimes when you are questing you fight and someone passes and he sees you almost dying and doesn't help? isn't that so not nice? my advice, help others if you pass by and they are dying, you might find even nice friends sometimes because of your help

8. be yourself, don't create a character with a personality you cannot play on the long run, and remember most of the people are perfectly normal, even my gnome is normal, for a gnome

9. Use the lore for your advantage, don't see it as boundaries, but as possibilities, like say the Destruction of the sun well, you could say you were there when it happened if your an elder elf, then as long as you keep to the facts you'll have an interesting story to tell

10. final tip, is more of a summary, be nice, polite, help others, be dynamic (if someone makes a mistake with the lore, don't crucify him, sometimes people don't remember something, help him in whisper to arrange his story, don't humiliate him in front of everyone)

that's it, hopefully it shall help us all have a nicer world.... of warcraft

Yours truly! The crazy one!
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 30 Apr 2012, 15:42

Greetings Fellow people,

Notice: the Tips for RP are only guidelines for better RP, it doesn't mean you have to follow every one of them to the letter

I've decided since i've started on the first one of these tips, i shall do a whole series, each time focusing on another
aspect of RP pros and cons etc.

this time i wish to deal with IC (in character) knolledge VS OOC (Out Of Character) Knolledge.
Some players forget that in the game mechanics there are some problems with the RP, such as nameplates showing above the person's head

here are some advices on how to RP your character:

1. ignore nameplates if the character you meet has never met your character face to face, meaning introduce yourself, and wait for him/her to introduce him/herself. this can be achieved easily by either /greet and then typing something like "Greetings Sir, i am [name], and you are?"

2. to Classify or not to Classify, though some extraordinary people have ESP (Extra Sensory Perception), not all of us have it, when a warlock/death knight/ Mage walks into a bar, it would be improper to say something like "Greetings Warlock" when you have never seen him preform any "warlocky" acts, there is no GIANT banner above his head saying "Im a warlock, Hate me!" or something similair, remember you behind the screen know the truth, but your character is NOT you, it's your character, an alter ego if you will, it has not your knolledge!

3. Levels, Seasons, Or any other way you wish to say it, Your character Does NOT know how experienced he is, it's something relative as einstein put it, such as you cannot say in RL i am 400 skill in cooking, because there is no such thing.
you wish to say you are a seasoned warrior say something like "I've allready passed many winters fighting"

4. this one is for those who do wish to say any of the above while playing Wow, use the Whisper channel! or Party channel.
it will seem a lot more RP professional than saying it out loud in say

that's it for today friends,
Enjoy your Time Rping!

Yours Truly,
Torm!
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 30 Apr 2012, 15:44

These guides i wrote on Embrace's Forums, but i believe they can be helpful for new RPers all around, so, here they are! some tips may recur due to it being on 2 different posts

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Sarawr » 30 Apr 2012, 16:52

Regarding lore, night elves are not born in Darnassus, or Teldrassil for that matter, as it is quite young still. The other night elf regions of Kalimdor, on the other hand, are more suitable to use when making a night elf character.
Traest wrote:RP is like farting. If you have to force it, it's probably shit.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Sarawr

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 01 May 2012, 07:15

Point taken, although i have read a lot of lore, i have read books of other worlds and it keeps confusing me!
:nariac:

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 01 May 2012, 09:37

Question though, where did you read the night elf thingy? i searched my posts for it and cannot find it, i wanted to edit it

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Gergel » 01 May 2012, 11:32

In your post in the recruitment forum: "Brief Character History: Born in darnassus ..."

'Course you could say: "Born in Darnassus fifty years from now. Ended up in current time period due to an unspecified incident involving fermented moonberry juice and the Caverns of Time."
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 01 May 2012, 11:46

Alright, will post my new history soon, anyways i haven't discussed it in game where he was born anyhows, so for now no contradictions

To be continued...

Tormeron
The soup master

Return to Guides.