Interesting...

Perhaps you've written a guide on a class or profession you want to share. Maybe you're an expert on mods and addons and want to share a guide you've made. If so, here's the place to do it!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 26 Dec 2013, 15:23

Interesting...

Hey there all!

For all those who use credit cards and/or bank sites on their computer and wish to feel a bit safer from keyloggers and/or malicious scripts.

I've found a free program for home users to scan for malware that is good at what it does and has very few false positives.

Malwarebytes has two editions, the free edition (home edition) is a scanner but without a realtime protection which should be enough if you just want to make sure you aren't having any keyloggers or malicious scripts running on your machine.

For those who want more there is also the paid version for a lifetime license which also offers a realtime protection from malware.

This is NOT a virus protection, this is specifically designed to protect against malware ONLY. it's lightweight and doesn't intrude on your regular performance.

Since this is not an ad i shall not post a link... this is just a useful free program i thought people would like to know about.

Even though i take a lot of precautions on my computer i had a registry key which was some piece of malware. ad-gen type...
(im proud that i had only one issue... )
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Shevron » 26 Dec 2013, 15:31

I WILL post a link however: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I've been using this baby for over 5 years, and it has saved my ass plenty of times at work with computers infected with all sorts of malware and spybots.

This thing works. Period - and I cannot recommend it enough.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Tiermaya » 27 Dec 2013, 22:33

It's working! Muahahaha!

Okay it's only finding minor annoying stuff rather than anything serious but still My PC is cleaner for it and I've been carrying on as normal while it does it's scan.

Most likely I'll shell out for the paid version when I get paid next because it's not even that expensive and it'll help me feel a little safer as I trundle mindlessly around the interwebs.

Thanks for the tip guys!
Serendipity wrote:****ing Royal Mail! They're about as much use as a condom made of tissue paper.
Tiermaya
WOAH-OH-OH-AH-AAHH!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 20 Oct 2014, 10:54

Just wanted to add to it their anti exploit little application, it's 100% free for browsers (which is the main cause of exploits, apart from PDFs which are more and more used as a mean to spread malware viruses and exploits)
It's an install and forget kind of application, no configurations to do.

Note for MC users: Disable it before you use any Java based game because it will significantly slow the java runtime. re-enable it after you've finished playing.

Also, I can't tell you how many times the malwarebytes anti malware has saved my behind from malware online, a few times even from ads on legitimate websites.
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Shevron » 20 Oct 2014, 10:56

AdBlock on Chrome <3
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Tibithea » 20 Oct 2014, 18:47

Been using it on a friend's recommendation for a while now, it works a treat :). I do a full scan using this and Avast once a month and a quick scan is scheduled for once a week. Got to say, my dad taught me well when I was a young'un :p.
Tibithea
Rhymer

Topic/Postby Sarawr » 20 Oct 2014, 19:14

23 euros for a year, every year... what was that about a lifetime license?
Traest wrote:RP is like farting. If you have to force it, it's probably shit.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Sarawr

Topic/Postby Juste » 21 Oct 2014, 08:31

Using Comodo Dragon. It has tinfoil level of security.
Juste

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 21 Oct 2014, 09:33

Sarawr wrote:23 euros for a year, every year... what was that about a lifetime license?

There was one when i wrote this first post...
they changed their business plan, though now it gives you now 3 computers instead of just one.

juste wrote:Using Comodo Dragon. It has tinfoil level of security.

I know the antivirus is good, though malwarebytes has nothing to do with viruses...

Personally i don't like comodo dragon, it's heavy with unnecessary applications, at least for me.

Malwarebytes Anti Malware is against Malware / Spyware / Rootkits there is some aspects that both can detect (certain kind of malware and rootkits).
But on the grand scale of things, Antivirus products don't have the engines to detects most malware. (they are excellent at detecting viruses)

Tormeron
The soup master

Return to Guides.