Windows update grayed out

Perhaps you've written a guide on a class or profession you want to share. Maybe you're an expert on mods and addons and want to share a guide you've made. If so, here's the place to do it!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 04 Sep 2015, 22:13

Windows update grayed out

You have bought a new computer or installed a brand new computer you go about your business installing your software.

After a few programs you decide for stability sake to restart your machine but then discover that windows update has decided that no matter what you click, it will apply updates you might have time to update at this time.

Since you know how to use windows update, you go up to the run (win+R) and type in "windows update" then discover to your astonishment that you can't choose when it shall update, because the field is grayed out.

Above there is a small message saying something like you need to be an administrator to change this field, but, but, you are the administrator!

Don't worry, I shall hereby list the solution:

Go to run window (Win+R)
Type: “regedit” then click enter
in the registry editor go to this tree path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU (or HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ WindowsUpdate)(depends on your windows version)
Find and double click AUOptions.

modify the number from 1 through 5 according to the list below

1. Download updates but let me choose wether to install them
2. Check for updates but let me choose wether to download and install them
3. Download updates but let me choose wether to install them
4. Install updates automatically / Never Check For Updates
5. Enable the option box to choose manually

Enjoy!
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Return to Guides.