Google DNS Servers

Perhaps you've written a guide on a class or profession you want to share. Maybe you're an expert on mods and addons and want to share a guide you've made. If so, here's the place to do it!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 06 Jul 2016, 11:14

Google DNS Servers

Hey friends,

I have for some time now altered my DNS servers to google due to ISP dns servers being awful.

I wrote a small batch file you could use to set your connections to use these dns servers.

The following are the IPs for the google dns servers:

Batch zipped file
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Gergel » 06 Jul 2016, 22:42

Butbutbut Tormeron! If you do that, Google will know every hostname that you connect to! That's, like, huge massive security risk, the kind you often warn us about!

(Also, this .bat did not, for example, work for me when I tested it, because the LAN interface on my machine is not named "local" but "Ethernet 2".)
What kind of sick individual burns a book full of perfectly good dark arts?!
- Darkscryer Raastok
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 06 Jul 2016, 23:45

What windows do you have? It's weird for me the connections are called local area connection and wireless
I can add ethernet to the list, but doubtful it's useful, the reason for Google is that their DNS servers are very stable and hostname translations is fast and good.
I tried others but they were crappier.

Plus, the DNS servers just get requests for websites translations, if you use a VPN they just get your IP, not your name... and you can't avoid using a DNS anyways.

I am not a privacy freak, I just do what I can to keep my information secure..

When I post these privacy things it's to help people that wish to feel more secure and privacy, not everything I post i necessarily do. Some things I do, some I don't.

For example, I do use windows 10 even though it's a privacy concern, but I store sensitive information encrypted on external drives. which are connected only from time to time.

If you all wish I won't post it anymore, i won't... Just thought it's interesting to some
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Shevron » 07 Jul 2016, 08:10

Instructions are welcome - not everyone is tech savvy.

But let's keep batch files, or any other kind of executable out of the loop please. It's a Pandora's box you don't want to open.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Lintissa » 20 Aug 2016, 20:05

There are other free DNS server providers. Here is a helpful link:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-we ... ns-server/

IIRC, you should apply these settings to your DSL/router then any device connected to it will inherit the settings.
alis grave nil
Lintissa
Holy Smiter

Topic/Postby Gergel » 20 Aug 2016, 20:10

What you would ideally do is:

1. Your router uses public DNS servers (your ISP, Google or others);
2. Your router is configured to do DNS caching.
3. All other network devices are configured (by your router using DHCP) to use your router as their DNS server;

This means you don't need to reconfigure all of your myriad devices, just the router. Also once a DNS record is cached by your router, subsequent queries against this record will be much faster from all devices.
What kind of sick individual burns a book full of perfectly good dark arts?!
- Darkscryer Raastok
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 21 Aug 2016, 07:41

In any case the information is relevant

Tormeron
The soup master

Return to Guides.