Bobby Kotick Leaving Activision Blizzard

Stay up to date with all the news regarding Warcraft, and anything related, courtesy of MMO-champion.com!

Topic/Postby Haggle » 21 Dec 2023, 00:00

Blizzard 2023 End-of-Year Review

Bobby Kotick is leaving Activision Blizzard on December 29, 2023. The Verge reported the changes coming according to Microsoft.

• Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick is stepping down from Microsoft Gaming on December 29th.
  • Microsoft has not appointed a direct replacement for Kotick.
  • Activision Blizzard executives, including Mike Ybarra and Rob Kostich, now report to Matt Booty, President of Game Content and Studios at Microsoft.
  • Several Activision Blizzard executives will depart by March 2024.
  • Microsoft is maintaining the leadership teams of Activision Blizzard, with some exceptions.
  • Lulu Meservey, Chief Communications Officer at Activision Blizzard, will leave at the end of January.
  • Activision Blizzard's integration into Microsoft Gaming includes changes at ZeniMax and Bethesda, with Jill Braff named as the new head of those studios.
  • Microsoft is working on integrating Activision Blizzard into its gaming business, with Matt Booty taking on more responsibilities.
  • Xbox fans await news on plans to add Activision Blizzard games to Xbox Game Pass.
  • Phil Spencer and Matt Booty shared internal memos detailing the organizational changes and expressing excitement about the future.

Originally Posted by blizzard
(Blue Tracker)

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick sent the following email to employees:

Extraordinary People,

Over the years, my passion for video games has often been attributed to Pitfall!, River Raid, and Kaboom!. I love those Atari 2600 games, but the game that first captured my imagination was Mystery House, developed by Roberta and Ken Williams. I played it on a borrowed Apple II night after night while in college at the University of Michigan.

Mystery House was a text adventure with some primitive sprite-based graphics. (Fittingly, we now own Mystery House and the company that published it, Sierra On Line.) The world in which the game was played was largely left to the player’s imagination. I envisioned rich, vast worlds with all sorts of interactive, animated life that would enable players to fulfill their varied aspirations—all in a simulated universe that offered unlimited possibilities for challenge, connection, and fun.

Forty years later, as my last day leading this company inches closer, I marvel at how far the talented people at our company have come toward realizing the great potential of games. You have transformed a hobbyist form of entertainment into the world’s most engaging medium. It has been the privilege of my lifetime to work alongside you as we broadened the appeal of games.

Perhaps the most important part of my job has been to help bring talented people together, provide the best resources possible, and foster an environment that encourages inspiration, creativity, and unwavering commitment to excellence.

I cannot adequately express the pride I have in the people who continue to contribute to our success and all those who have helped throughout my 32 years leading this company.

We are now part of the world’s most admired company. That isn’t an accident.

Phil Spencer has appreciated the magic of ABK for decades. When he approached Brian and me two years ago and proposed acquiring the company, it was immediately obvious that the combination of our businesses would enable us to continue to lead as the list of capable, well-resourced competitors grows.

Phil shares our values and recognizes our talents. He is passionate about our games and the people who make them. He has bold ambition.

As we move into our next exciting chapter, you could not be in better hands.

I will always be profoundly grateful to the people who contributed tirelessly to building this company and I am confident you will keep inspiring joy and uniting people through the power of play.

With gratitude and appreciation,

Bobby Kotick

https://www.mmo-champion.com/content/11 ... n-Blizzard
"I love the smell of nether in the morning. It smells like... ... victory"
Haggle
Rhyme News Reporter

Return to Warcraft News