Warlords of Draenor Beta Begins Friday, Priest Tier 17, Blue Posts and Tweets, Comic

Stay up to date with all the news regarding Warcraft, and anything related, courtesy of MMO-champion.com!

Topic/Postby Haggle » 27 Jun 2014, 08:17

Warlords of Draenor Beta Begins Friday, Priest Tier 17, Blue Posts and Tweets, Comic

Image Legendary Gems, Character Copy Cooldown, Seasons To Be Enabled Soon, Ramalandi's Gift, Miscellaneous Strings

Image Curse of Naxxramas to be Released in July, Pricing Announcement July 1st

Image Alpha Patch 30829, Designer Insights: Zagara, Town Hall #19

Warlords of Draenor Beta Begins Friday
Alpha realms went down earlier tonight and several users got an email that indicates that the Warlords of Draenor beta will begin Friday, June 27, at 2:00 PM PDT. You can view the email on the official site.

Warlords of Draenor - Priest Tier 17 Preview
Today we are taking a look at the Priest Tier 17 armor set. You can try it on any race, including the new ones, with the modelviewer below.

Warlords of Draenor changes things up slightly by using one set of art for Raid Finder, one set of art for Normal and Heroic, and one set of art for Mythic difficulty. You can find the Raid Finder armor sets in our Raid Finder armor sets preview.

Warlords of Draenor - About the Mekkatorque PvP Server

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
As part of our Warlords of Draenor beta testing, we’ve opened up a new server with some special rules. The Mekkatorque (PvP) server is intended to provide a strong environment for PvP testing. Here’s how it works:

When you create a character on Mekkatorque, it will automatically be boosted to level 100 and given a full set of level 100 PvP gear – no template creation necessary! However, you will not be able to access any of the new zones or dungeons available on the other beta servers (with the exception of Ashran, once it’s ready for testing).

Of course, we still encourage you to try out all the new content coming in Warlords, too. For that, you’ll need to create a level 90 template character (or copy an existing level 90 character) on either the Lost Isles (PvE) or Gilneas (PvP) servers.

Mekkatorque is also a great place for theorycrafters to test level 100 mechanics, such as with the variety of target dummies setup in Shattrath (the old one in Outland)

Blue Posts

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Undead Bones Customization
We're just not going to have time to get to anything beyond updating the options that already exist to new high poly/high res versions (already a monumental task) without holding up the entire expansion release. But like Chris said, all the ideas people have been throwing out for different cosmetic options and full character skins is super cool, and something we're actively thinking about. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Why New Character Models?
Because they were looking pretty outdated, of course. While our environment art gets better and better, dungeons and raids have higher fidelity, zones have more detail, as we update models for prominent heroes, introduce new enemies and bosses with high polys and high res textures, etc. etc. the old character models just look worse and worse by comparison. It was past due, really. But you are right, it's an enormous undertaking, and one our artists are extremely passionate about.

But, to respond to your point about armor, yes that's true armor can cover a lot, but plenty of people do like to play with their helmet turned off--and it's nice to have a pretty face showing. But also the basic upgrade of polygon count and animation detail will have an effect all of the time, regardless of armor. Plus, updated character models are a shot-in-the-arm for any machinima makers out there looking to cut together WoW footage. Oh, and also, probably not super obvious but a lot of armor is actually just a texture directly on the geometry of the character. Any increase to the polys of that geometry can have a direct benefit to the way armor looks, new and old. And also now we can design gear to show off the male human high res nipples/chest hair. If we were so inclined.

By this logic much of the vanilla game world needs a retexture at the very least. Most of the old mob models looks like they were ripped out of an N64 game and most of the trees are an eyesore.
Uh, sure, and I'm sure we'd like to given the time, but the vast majority of people playing are high level, you continually are looking at your and other people's character model regardless of what zone or expansion you're in, and the old zones and creatures are usually quite relegated to their places in the world. Measuring bang-for-the-buck metrics, character models are about infinity times more important. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Raid Finder and Other Difficulties
There's no right or wrong way to enjoy something.

LFR definitely has a place in the game, even for organized raiders, but it is in many ways a different experience. The problem we want to solve is the LFR player that's been running LFR for a while and is now looking for something more, or the LFR player that doesn't particularly enjoy it but isn't quite sure how to take the next step. Our hope is that we can get players into more organized group content (like raiding) quickly and easily and successfully with the new Group Finder coming in Warlords of Draenor. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
Classes
theorycraft question - I never see a reliable definition of statistical curve in weapon dmg range. Uniform chance? Normal dist?
Uniform chance.101-200 dmg = 1% chance to get each integer in that range. No bell curve or anything complex involved. (Celestalon)
Good question though; not often do people question stuff that low-level. (Celestalon)

Image Death Knight (Forums / Skills / WoD Talent Calculator)
Is there any reason for Dark Transformation to be a button when it doesn't have a rune cost? Could be auto and pruned.
Timing when you use it does have gameplay to it. (Celestalon)

Image Druid (Forums / Skills / WoD Talent Calculator)
Hey - confused about the change to Travel Form. What's the purpose of not being able to choose between stag/orca/bird?
Saving keybinds by auto swapping to the appropriate travel form for you. (Celestalon)

Am I reading the patch notes correctly or did you just remove Haste from the moonkin aura?
Yes, swapped it to... Mastery, I believe. (Celestalon)

what is the point in Guardian Druid lvl100 talent - Bristling Fur? isn't 3 sec too low?
No; one of the most dangerous things for tanks is burst damage, and this solves any that you can anticipate. (Celestalon)
it's surely a usefull talent to have, but it feels just like 3rd charge on Survival Instincts, isn't it?
Charges on abilities regenerate sequentially (You get 1 extra use per fight). Bristling Fur is an entirely separate ability. (Celestalon)

Image Hunter (Forums / Skills / WoD Talent Calculator)
How is marksmanship going to be viable without master marksman? Are you lowering the cast time on Aimed Shot to Compensate?
Whenever reading changes at this point, "viability" should never be a concern. Fine tuning (which comes later) can make any... (Celestalon)
...spec viable. The thing to consider and give feedback on is gameplay. In this case, we found that since Aimed was your... (Celestalon)
...primary focus dump, a proc for a free instant one was less compelling. We're considering alternatives. (Celestalon)

Image Mage (Forums / Skills / WoD Talent Calculator)
From what I have seen the Mage changes/pruning is very awesome. Except the proc'd FFB requiring a hard cast..it is too long!
It's too long... For the damage it does! We're going to improve it's damage. (Celestalon)

In the last update to the WoD patchnotes every class got a buff to "self sustainability" save mages. Still coming?
.This Was not a slight against Mages, rather a recognition that they are already very good at avoiding dmg while... (Celestalon)
...questing, and have several talents and glyphs to assist with this, and have the classic/strong conjured food. (Celestalon)

I'm not alone in my thinking. Many dps classes aren't restricted by spec in their ability to move.
Mobility is an excellent way to differentiate specs. We see that as a good thing. (Celestalon)

movment for healers and DPS are being reduced, right I haven't seen any Changes for Mages in that area
Brain Freeze and Scorch tuning. (Celestalon)

Image Rogue (Forums / Skills / WoD Talent Calculator)
hi, any plans on fixing the rogue waiting for energy issue? or is downtime intended ? simcraft shows about 30-40% waiting time.
Downtime intended; waiting for energy is extremely important for an energy-based model to work. If you don't, it's GCD limited. (Celestalon)

Image Shaman (Forums / Skills / WoD Talent Calculator)
can you please reconsider the stat bonus you have in the new patch notes for resto shaman, master
.We understand that the choice of stat attunement for some specs may seem strange. If so, improvements are likely coming. (Celestalon)
Deep Healing, for example, is massively buffed by our new healing system, and it's tuning can go up as well. (Celestalon)
DH is unnecessary according to the info I've seen so far, no spikey damage etc. DH really needs a complete redesign imho.
I don't know what information you're referring to, but the changes to healing in Warlords objectively increase the value of DH. (Celestalon)
My apologies, I meant DH in regards to Mastery, it's effectiveness is useless unless the target ...
"Useless" is a gross mischaracterization. Average HP % will go down in WoD, increasing its value. Its effectiveness goes up. (Celestalon)

Character / Items
would be even cooler if N/H tier had physical distinguishment instead of color. Tier would feel "completed" across difficulties....
that's very much the intent. Color shift wasn't enough to say "badass" (holinka)

Warlords of Draenor Stats
What would b the point of having multiple sec stats if all are equal? At that point, might as well only have one.
One being 5% stronger on Patchwerk doesn't make the other worthless. (Celestalon)
And different stats provide different situational strengths and weaknesses, and feelings. (Celestalon)

People freaking about _X_ Attunement. 5% buff to one secondary doesn't automatically put it ahead of the others in all cases no?
Nope, it doesn't. (Celestalon)

I suppose, I would just rather closer secondaries for more varied builds than more railroading.
We are doing closer secondaries. "Railroading" is imagined. Tuning assumes attunements passives. (Celestalon)
"Usually, it will be your highest throughput stat" kind of throws me off then, Seems very directed is all.
It is. That's the point. (Celestalon)

PvP
Idk why it was removed to begin with. Lots of things in WoW aren't used/played. Pointlessly removed. Glad its back though.
The old skirmish really wasn't used. I expect the new one will be. (holinka)

is the plan to make Smirkishes a viable way to gear up, or just as a 'time-spender' ? I'm mainly wanting it as time-spender.
It will be a viable way to gear up (holinka)

Along this thought, how far have you guys been able to push base resilience down so far? All the way to 0%?
Increasing health relative to damage and reducing crit damage against players (holinka)
The question was "how far" not "how", but the answer is 0%, yes. It's in the patch notes.
Ah yes 0% right now but definitely keeping it in out back pocket. (holinka)

I know it's an incredible amount of work to make gear models, but did you really think the community would be okay with sharing?
there are always tradeoffs to change that are bound to make someone unhappy. We think the aspirational upside is worth it. (holinka)

Please make sure Ashran is perfect, WoW desperately needs new kind of PvP, its what is selling the entire expansion to me.
We really do agree that PvP needs a new kind of content to provide some variety. (holinka)

World
there are to be more rares for end game.. not sure the details on those though.
Levelling rares drop mostly levelling items, endgame rares = endgame stuff (toys, tradeskill mats, etc) (Muffinus)
Will end game rares only appear in certain zones or zone?
The many endgame POIs in WoD, and some scattered about in fun spots across the world. (Muffinus)

That's all well and good, but Org and the surrounding are still look like a Stalinist nightmare.
If we erase traces of our history, we're more likely to repeat it. Perhaps a good reminder of what was (Muffinus)
Well with the amount of gold spent by Garrosh, you think the Horde has the funds to tear it down and build it up again?
Who's the horde in debt to? The goblins? Actually yeah probably, the Iron Bank of Gazlos. (Muffinus)

Dark Legacy Comics #445
DLC #445 takes a look at the reaction to Warlords of Draenor changes.

More...
Haggle
Rhyme News Reporter

Return to Warcraft News