Mythic HFC Progression, Apexis Event, PvP Gear, July 2 Hotfi

Stay up to date with all the news regarding Warcraft, and anything related, courtesy of MMO-champion.com!

Topic/Postby Haggle » 04 Jul 2015, 10:00

Mythic HFC Progression, Apexis Event, PvP Gear, July 2 Hotfi

PTR 2.3 Undocumented Changes, New Monk Sets Showcased

Well Met, Hero! Upcoming Hearthstone Content Announcement - July 22

NA Open July Registration, Plays of the Week Throw Pit, Town Hall Heroes #70

Mythic Hellfire Citadel Progression

Method, Midwinter, and Paragon are now all at 9/13. You can keep up with the latest progress on WoWProgress, our forum thread, and Manaflask.

Apexis Crystal Bonus Weekend July 3 - 6

The Apexis Bonus Event is live! Keep in mind it only increases drops of Apexis Crystals, not rewards from quests.

Originally Posted by Blizzard
(Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

During the Sign of Apexis bonus weekend, you'll gain bonus Apexis Crystals from eligible creatures. Furthermore, completing the new this-weekend-only quest "The Time to Strike" awards a sizable amount of Oil to fuel your Naval Missions, in addition to a big pile of Apexis Crystals.

The point of picking up lots and lots of extra Apexis Crystals is, of course, to spend them! Here are some of the possibilities.

For most players, spending Apexis Crystals on gear upgrades is a great way to improve your overall item level. There's something for every slot at item level 650, so if you've still got a low-level item in one or two slots, you're covered. Visit Ravenspeaker Thelnaas in Tanaan Jungle to buy armor for 5,000 Crystals apiece, a weapon for 10,000 Crystals, and Empowered Apexis Fragment for 20,000 Crystals. Empowered Apexis Fragments are Battle.net Account-bound, and upgrade your Baleful gear from ilvl 650 to ilvl 695.

Some nice new collectibles came along with Tanaan Jungle. You'll want to consider:

The bonus weekend is underway, and runs through the end of the day on Monday, July 6.

Randomness in Obtaining PvP Gear

Okay, so, lots to cover here, and I don’t have answers to every concern, but I’ll try to hit what I can.

Let me start by saying that we are absolutely not ignoring or disregarding your feedback. I know that we’ve said that a lot, and I know that it’s a hard line to believe when you’re not seeing an immediate reaction or response to it. Truth is, we completely understand and even agree with a lot of the feedback we get, we just can’t always immediately act on it. Sometimes changes can’t be hotfixed and have to wait for a patch. Sometimes the right way to fix an issue has a lot of side effects that also need to be addressed, which makes it better suited for an expansion.

Of course, sometimes we just disagree. It’s important, I think, to draw a distinction between “disagreed” and “disregarded.” Every day, we have debates and discussions internally that are based on feedback we’ve received. Sometimes we agree with that feedback, and sometimes we don’t, but we always consider and discuss it.

Which brings me to the titular argument in this thread: that randomness in PvP gearing is inherently bad and should be removed entirely. We’ve talked about it a lot. It’s been an almost daily topic of conversation here for months. We’ve argued back and forth, we’ve looked for every angle and perspective we can find, we’ve argued some more, and yes, we’ve experienced it ourselves in our own playtime. We disagree. Here’s why:

There are two main rewards for participating in rated PvP. One of those is, obviously, rating. The higher your rating, the better you rank on the ladder, and the better your cosmetic rewards (titles, achievements, etc.) will be at the end of the season. For a lot of players, that’s the “real” game, and gearing is just sort of this thing that you have to do for a while first. That’s a completely valid way to enjoy the game.

The other reward is the gear you earn via Conquest points. For many players, PvP is about killing other players, so you can get better loot, so you can kill other players harder. They don’t particularly care about being the very best, they just want to have a fun time stomping on people. For this type of player, being fully geared is actually where the game ends. Once they can’t possibly stomp any harder, the game starts to lose its appeal. This is also a completely valid way to enjoy the game.

Our challenge, then, is in finding a way to satisfy both types of player as much as possible, despite the fact that their opinions on what makes the game fun are often completely at odds with each other. So, our goal with gearing in Warlords was to let people get enough gear to start pushing for rating relatively quickly, while still making sure there was something left to earn once you’re there.

That’s how we landed on the current system. A player wearing a full set of Conquest gear they bought from a vendor is completely capable of earning Gladiator. It might not have your completely optimal stat distribution, but the difference is minor at most. Put another way, if you’re losing rating, it’s not because you have Multistrike instead of Versatility on your bracers. Still, if you’re the sort of player who’s PvPing for the gear, it gives you something of at least some small value to continue to earn.

So, why RNG and not, say, making Versatility gear purchasable after 27k? Simply put, we don’t think that would actually feel any better for either type of player. It would make the gear grind longer for players who just want to push rating (as you wouldn’t have been able to earn any of it until you were fully geared), and the type of player who just wants to be able to smash people would lose out on the chance to get a little bit ahead of everyone else earlier on.

All that being said, we agree that it’s not ideal for the only methods of earning that gear to be Ashran or Rated BGs. I can’t make any promises, but we’re exploring some options to make it available through other forms of PvP. Just keep in mind that we do want there to be some extra incentive to participate in RBGs and Ashran.

One question that was not addressed is: why was past model of gearing changed from having the option to purchase gear (via reputation, etc) to one of pure RNG. That is the stick in the eye that is raging the community right now.

We got a ton of complaints about having to farm reputation in order to get the pieces, so we decided to try something different.

You say they're both valid ways to enjoy the game but you only cater to the second group, why?

To be frank, if that were true, the Conquest vendor would probably not exist. He's there because we want to make sure the players who want to push rating are able to do so without relying on RNG.

Is it just a coincidence that all the posts that enjoy the current system are <1500 rated in arenas.... like really?

Not at all. In fact, that just means the system is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, and providing something of value to players who don't care what their rating is.

How do you feel about a method along these lines: Combine the two systems so that it is purchasable from the vendor IN ADDITION to being RNG available through ashran and RBGs. This way there is no issue of being in week 30 and not having full BiS.

Totally get that concern. It's important to note that we do have bad luck prevention in place on the boxes, which makes it almost impossible for someone earning both boxes (RBG and Ashran) every week to never get those pieces. We may be able to improve those chances even further, though -- we'll talk about it.

He's kind of ignoring the fact that some classes will need all the versatility to stay relevant. Ret paladins for example are going to be ignored simply because without that mitigation, they explode if anyone looks at them the wrong way. Any of the squishier classes/specs will feel it too. With the rock paper scissors format of arena comps decided on in WoD, pvp is just as much a min/max game as high end pve. With that in mind, BiS really means a lot to those benefitting/staying afloat from versatility; an RNG-based BiS pvp gear system inadvertently gimps those classes.

If that's the case, that's the sort of thing we can fix by tweaking class mechanics to provide the squishier classes/specs with some more survivability. I think it's a bit early in the season yet to definitively state whether it's needed or not.

Patch 6.2 Hotfixes - July 2

Classes

Warlock

Dungeons and Raids

The Everbloom

Yalnu

• Kirin Tor Batttle-Mage no longer continues to choke after Entanglement is killed.
Hellfire Citadel

• Players should no longer become saved to the Hellfire Citadel instance by killing a Voracious Soulstalker.
Kormrok

• Kormrok no longer quickly despawns after being killed.
Socrethar the Eternal

• Sargerei Dominators no longer immediately attack nearby players after spawning and applying their shield.
  • Sargerei Dominators’ Gift of the Man'ari has had its damage reduced by 15% on all difficulties.

PvP

• Warlords Season 2 honor gear now scales to ilvl 715 in PvP, as intended.
Ashran

• During the Ashmaul Burial Grounds event, Risen Spirits now spawn at a greater rate.

Quests

• Previous-season versions of the PvP quest “Slay Them All!” are now removed from players quest logs, so that the new versions of these quests can be automatically picked up.

Blue Tweets

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Achievements

I Came, I Clawed, I Conquered tells us to loot 500 claws, but the progress bar shows 5000 claws. http://t.co/XBhCzOBc02

5000 is the correct amount. Updating the text will require a future patch. (WarcraftDevs)

PvE

are tanks suppose to get caught by the hands on kormok?

Yes, though not if they’re currently being Fel Crushed. (WarcraftDevs)

is it a bug that Kil'rog's Heartseeker can be on the active tank? Or any tank in general.

It should generally prefer non-tanks, but if there are no available distant targets, anything is possible. (WarcraftDevs)

what's the requirement to get mythic HFC caches? i.e how many heroic boss kills will unlock mythic cache when upgrade shipyard

Mythic HFC boss kills will unlock Mythic caches. Heroic kills will unlock Heroic caches. Etc. (WarcraftDevs)

Timewalking

druid t3 doesnt scale up in timewalker dungeons

Timewalking only scales gear down, not up. That said, T3 should work for TBC even unscaled! (WarcraftDevs)

My Righteous Fury is removed when I enter a Timewalking dungeon. Is this intended?

Yes, most buffs are cleared when entering Timewalking, similar to arena. Necessary for clean down-scaling. (WarcraftDevs)

will we see more timewalking dungons?

We have plans to continue adding to the system and expanding it in the future. (WarcraftDevs)

does the Burning Path Through Time quest award an EXTRA seal (so up to 4 this week) or is it considered one of the weekly 3?

Yes, the Seal from the Timewalking quest is a bonus on top of the weekly 3. (WarcraftDevs)

Misc

I postulated you can never effectively increase game time by drawing things out. You always have to add new rewards to justify it. Thoughts?

Consider the opposite. If you reduced leveling time to 1 kill per level, and raised all drop rates to 100%... (Celestalon)

...That would reduce total game time, no? If so, it's a continuum, and we try to hit a sweet spot in the middle. (Celestalon)

Pictures from #WoWatHellfest!

Blizzard shared some pictures and videos from Hellfest.

The dust has settled… the drums of war no longer echo. The Iron Horde has returned to Azeroth, victorious in their conquest of Hellfest 2015! With an astonishing 150,000 attendees, this year’s metal music festival was the biggest Hellfest ever, and we’re thrilled to have been a part of it!

Our Iron Horde-style booth, the Hellfire Tavern, received an overwhelming number of visitors, eager to participate in our activities, play our games, and celebrate the affinity between metal and Warcraft with us. We are truly humbled to have been able to share our passion with you all.

If you weren’t able to attend this year’s festival—or you were there but you miss it already—check out our three #WoWatHellfest video updates and our picture gallery below to get a flavor of all things Hellfest!

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/499 ... t-Hellfest
"I love the smell of nether in the morning. It smells like... ... victory"
Haggle
Rhyme News Reporter

Return to Warcraft News