Marked

Take a look into the life of a not-so-ordninary servant of the light!

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 30 Dec 2008, 06:15

Marked

So I finally got the time to finish this story that I have been working on for a bit over a month now... and I've been thinking about it even longer. But here it is, enjoy.

And please, feel free to comment on it, I need all the feedback I can get since I'm thinking of becoming a writer for a living. All the stories I write goes under my training.

Marked

Lilandris, as I told you before I recognized the tattoo in your forehead when you stepped into our shrine on the Aldor rise here in Shattrath city, I did not remember where I had seen it before when we talked about it, but now I do. Come to The Shrine of Unending Light, Lilandris, and I shall explain to you where I have seen it.

Lil crumbled the note and dropped it on the ground, she let out a sigh. The Northrend air felt cold in her nostrils, the smell of undeath was in the air. She made a motion with the reins of her gryphon to make it take off and fly towards Dalaran.

A while later she landed on Krasus’ landing in Dalaran, she dismounted and headed towards The Silver Enclave. She peered at the mages walking through the streets of Dalaran, she wanted to hate them for not participating more directly in the struggle against Arthas and his forces, but she had to admit that they did their part by opening their city to the heroes of the Alliance and the Horde, and after all someone had to keep the city in safe float and keep it protected from both Arthas’ forces and those of Malygos for that matter.

The air in Shattrath was very different from the air in Northrend but it was not unfamiliar, after all Lil had walked the streets of Shattrath many times before. Lil stopped in the doorway of The Shrine of Unending Light on the Aldor rise; she knelt, bowed her head down and whispered a holy word. She stood up and entered the shrine. High Priestess Ishanah greeted her as she entered. Lil stopped and crossed her arms. “Make it quick, I need to get back to Northrend.” “You don’t need to take that tone with me Lilandris, I’m doing this as a favor to you after all.” Lil sighed. “Now, to that tattoo in your forehead.” Lil rubbed her forehead with two fingers. The tattoo had the shape of a knife in a rock shard. Many a night Lil had been standing in front of the mirror studying this mysterious tattoo that had been there all her life. “Basically it means that you are the daughter of a certain notorious criminal. Her name is Jaenaara Len. She is rumored to live somewhere out in Terokkar Forest. And Lilandris, there’s a grave outside the city I saw that same mark carved into. You might find it interesting.” Lil nodded before leaving the shrine.

Lil found the grave secluded from a graveyard not too far from the city, as Ishanah said a mark had been carved into it similar to the tattoo in Lil’s forehead. The headstone was leaning over slightly to the left and the grave itself looked hastily dug but still old. It was a sad sight, the stone had roots growing all over it and it was worn with time.

Here lies Merkai, shot in the back by his loved one.

Lil narrowed her eyes as she read the inscription on the headstone, to Lil, killing someone in cold blood was the most despicable and dishonorable thing one could do to one of your own, or to a sentient enemy, this was the reason why Lil never had too much love for rogues and assassins, but she admitted that they had their uses too. It was different with the Scourge; Lil did not consider them “sentient enemies”. They were mindless animals and nothing more.

Lil searched through the forest without rest for days, finally she came across a hut deep in the forest. There was a pet warp-stalker sleeping outside the hut, and Lil could see there was a few lamps lighting up inside the hut. Lil entered the hut to find her own mother Jaenaara pointing her gun towards the door due to the sound of footsteps Lil had made. Jaenaara put her gun down immediately at the sight of her own daughter walking through the doorway.

“L-Lilandris?” Jaenaara stuttered. She ran towards Lil with her arms wide open with the intentions of giving her daughter a hug. Lil pushed her aside with her right arm, “Spare me mother!” Lil shouted. “I can see the lies in your eyes, you don’t fool me” Lil continued in a more controlled voice. “What lies?” Jaenaara rose to her hooves. “Do not act like a fool, I know what you did to my father. I know there is no love left in you, besides I did not come here for your love!” Jaenaara frowned slightly. “All of Shattrath was looking for you the days after you vanished, what happened to you? Why did you not come back that day with that mage boyfriend of yours?” Jaenaara spoke with a sad voice. “Yes, I remember him. And that portal experiment of his I let him try out on me. I remember everything now!” Lil’s yellow eyes flashed, Jaenaara seemed frightened by this ability her daughter’s eyes had, after all it was not a common sight, and she hadn’t noticed their yellow colour at first. “W-W-What’s with your eyes?” Jaenaara almost forced the words out of herself. Lil cackled madly. “What’s the matter mother? Does it scare you to be in the presence of the light? Is it perhaps because of your dirty conscience and guilt?...” Jaenaara tried to speak but Lil interrupted her quickly. “…The light only sees a bandit, a criminal! Oh there is no escape for you. Justice has come to claim your life. Pick up your gun, mother. I will not be without honor like you were when you claimed father’s life.” “What is this madness you speak?” Jaenaara had a desperate voice. “Because of you I have to carry around this mark in my forehead forever!” Lil pointed at the tattoo in her forehead. “Oh this is hardly madness, I see clearer now than ever before! Now, pick up your gun” Jaenaara was in tears. “Do it!” Lil shouted. Jaenaara picked up her gun reluctantly from the table she had put it down on, tears were pouring down her cheeks. Slowly she put the gun to her shoulder and aimed it at Lil. Lil chanted a smite spell and did a wide motion with her right arm, almost like a backhand slap in Jaenaara’s direction, unleashing the spell at her, knocking her backwards. In the same moment, Jaenaara pulled the trigger of her gun. A loud “boom” sounded through the hut and the bullet hit Lil in her left arm.

Lil fell to her knees in pain and let out a shriek. Jaenaara had been knocked unconscious by the spell. Lil stood back up and walked over to her mother’s unconscious body. She pulled her hammer from where it hung in her belt. Her eyes flashed once more before she swung the hammer and crushed her mother’s skull. She was dead. Lil could hear a voice in her head she recognized as her father’s and an intense crying she recognized as her mother’s. “I deserve the pain in my arm, because of my mother’s sins.” Lil said aloud, and refrained from healing the wound her mother had caused. Lil found some bandage in a chest. She pulled up her robe sleeve and wrapped the bandage tightly around the wound. Blood was making its way down her arm and it was dripping off the end of her middle finger. Lil looked at her arm; the pain came as stings at the rate of her heartbeat. She exited the hut, her mother’s pet warp-stalker hissed at her, it knew what she had done to its mistress, but there was little it could do about it since he was chained to a thick wooden staff in the ground. Lil just kept walking into the forest, listening to the voice and the crying in her head.
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Topic/Postby Serendipity » 30 Dec 2008, 11:19

Creepy - I liked it (and interesting character development - I remember Lil being a little crazed on first reaching Northrend).

Only real criticisms from me is that Lil kinda' just teleports from Dalaran to Shattrath without an explanation and that it could probably be spaced out a little more during the last two paragraphs. But good stuff. :Q
Serendipity
Blorgh.

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 30 Dec 2008, 15:03

Yea when you mention it... originally I had a few lines about Lil entering the portal from Dalaran to Shattrath but it sounded so strange...
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 14 May 2012, 09:47

actually gave me goosebumps, and also, it isn't sure her mother has actually done it... light blinds you sometimes!
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 14 May 2012, 13:55

I'm glad you liked it Tormeron, I write slowly but I try to get it right the first time as well, so I must be doing -something- right in there to give you goosebumps :S
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Return to Lilandris the Lightmancer