It was a good morning...

Take a look into the life of a not-so-ordninary servant of the light!

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 06 Nov 2009, 22:25

It was a good morning...

I decided to try writing in first person for once, so here’s a story seen from Lil’s eyes and Lil’s eyes only. And I figured I’d try out an idea that I have had for a while, writing a story with music, after the last paragraph you will see the name of a song, listen to it. You can find it on Youtube, but read through the story first. Enjoy!

It was a good morning

I woke up one day at the inn in the Stormwind trade district, sunlight shone through an opening in the curtains and I could hear children playing in the streets outside, traders shouting about their wares and busy commoners compiled the rest of the noise outside, I sat up in bed and put my hand out to caress the ray of sunlight that had invaded my room without a sound. I sighed and smiled at the ray of light that was now warming my hand, it was a good morning.

I got out of bed and got dressed; I didn’t withdraw the curtains, as it would ruin the individuality of the sunray and I felt it deserved to exist by itself a little while longer. I told the innkeeper I would be buying my breakfast somewhere else as I went out the front door, she just smiled back at me and nodded. She was always the quiet type, whether it was due to respecting the silence or just being a woman of few words is beyond me.

The sun was in my eyes when I walked down the street, its brilliance and mysteriousness only rivaled by the moon, personally I always thought the sun to represent something stronger than the moon, as the sun’s light is far stronger than that of the moon, though I don’t revere the sun like the Sin’Dorei does, but I still find it fascinating in a religious or spiritual way. There was a dwarven woman who had set up a small booth at the side of the street, selling bread rolls and the like, I went over to the booth and greeted the woman.

- “Ah, welcome tae me shop, lass. Wot kin ah get fer ye?” The dwarven woman smiled at me, obviously delighted to see customers.
- “I’d like two of those bread rolls.” I smiled back; I was having a good day after all.
- “Tha’ll be two silver, lass.” She handed over the bread rolls to me, and I gave her the two silver.
- “Wot a great day, eh lass?” The woman continued. “We du’nae experience them like this back home in Ironforge.”
- “No, I guess you don’t.” I said, rather absent-mindedly while I was looking skywards. I bid the woman farewell and strolled down the street.

I turned through the tunnel, or arch or whatever you could call it towards Old Town, nibbling on one of the bread rolls, when two young boys came towards me, one whispering to the other and giggling.
- “Hey, You’re ugly!” one of them shouted at me. I decided to ignore them and not let them ruin my day and was going to walk past them, then, as I walked past them, one of them put his foot out and made me trip and fall to the ground, I scraped my knee and my dress got torn.

- “Why don’t you dance a little closer to the fire, brat!?” I stood up. They just laughed at me and started running off while making rude gestures at me; I’m guessing they didn’t care for analogies. I snarled at them and threw one of the bread rolls after them. I picked up the other bread roll and dusted it off, I sighed and resumed nibbling on it, not wanting to let it go to waste. Clouds were gathering in the sky.

As I continued over the bridge and through the arch leading into Old Town my mood took a turn towards a sourer disposition, why had those kids showed so little respect for me? If only they knew the deeds I had done. Suddenly I was drawn out of my thoughts and into conversation.
- “Hello miss, spare some money for the orphans? They have no one else to turn to in these dark times; your contribution would be greatly appreciated.” A man in simple but clean clothing smiled at me. I stopped and narrowed my eyes at him, his eyes were begging and he was holding his hands out while he was standing slightly croaked over. An anger inside me flared and I threw my coin purse at him, it hit him in the chest before it hit the ground, while coins of various types fell out of it.
“Fine, take them, take it all!” I shouted at him, and in that very same moment a streak of lightning tore the skies open and rain poured from the heavens. The man stood there speechless, with a questioning and surprised look on his face. I hid my face in my hands and burst into tears, deep down inside I was only a child, scared of the world. It WAS a good morning.

Gary Jules – Mad World

Tell me what you think of the story, may it be writing style or anything like that... What is good, what could have improvement?
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Return to Lilandris the Lightmancer