Impasse

Take a look into the life of a not-so-ordninary servant of the light!

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 02 Apr 2011, 03:40

Impasse

New band discovered today, and inspiration struck me at the same time I realized I hadn't written a Lil-story for a while, so here you have the results, hope you enjoy it.

Comments and feedback is always welcome as usual, don't be afraid to post in this thread :)

Impasse

It was a quiet day in Stormwind City, quieter than most one could say. The sun hung at noon, and a few birds were chirping and tweeting in the trees, sounds not soon after interrupted and outdone by the ring of the cathedral bells. Lil sat at The Blue Recluse having a meal, across the table from her sat her wife, Zho. The chatter was going in between mouthfuls of food and gulps of water, life was pleasant this day and without worry. Topics like food, tattoos, weapons and engineering were the constants of the conversation.

Suddenly the peace was disturbed by a messenger entering the tavern in an unleisurely pace, almost sprinting towards their table.
“Lightmancer!” The messenger shouted as he made his way towards them.
Lil sighed.
“I guess it wasn’t meant to last, few people come to me with good news like this.” She grinned at Zho before turning her head towards the messenger. “Yes, what is it, good sir?”
“I was told to give you this note by a group of black-robed men.” The messenger handed over a note before straightening up and saluting.
“Black-robed you say?” Lil’s eyes widened and gave a flash.
“Affirmative, Ma’am.”
“Not.. good... Thank you messenger.” Lil gave the messenger a few silver.
“Thank you, Ma’am.” The messenger ran off.
Zho had stopped eating while the messenger was there, a formidable feat, now she was eyeing the note Lil had been given.
“Let me guess-”
“Yes, necromancers, no doubt about it, surprisingly enough there aren’t many people who wear pitch black robes besides them, warlocks tend to go for red...”
“Or purple!” Zho said with a grin, Lil grinned back at her.
“Anyway, let’s see what those motherless scum have to say to me.”
Lil started reading the note:

Cut Throat Alley, one hour from noon, we have something you want and you have something we want, come alone or there will be consequences.

Lil read it again out loud, before looking up at Zho, their eyes met with concern.
“Something I want, eh? I have no idea what that could be, but I guess I have no choice but to humor them for now, could be something important, as for what they want from me... I think I know.”
“What then, what could you possibly have that they want, besides your life?”
“Well... could be a number of things, but I have a feeling they want one of the souvenirs you brought me back from Icecrown Citadel, that shard of ice from the throne.”
“Why? That shard is worthless for anything else than symbolic value.”
“Maybe that’s all they need for it to be used in some unsavory ritual or whatever, I stopped asking questions about them a long time ago, they never do anything for the sake of good, that’s for damn sure.” There was a short pause while Lil checked her pocketwatch and stood up. “I should get going.”
“Take me with you!”
“The note said to come alone.”
“Lilandris Greywind! I am coming with you, and that’s final!” Zho gave Lil a stern look that told her that arguing was pointless. Lil smirked.

Beat The Devil’s Tattoo - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Lil put on her patrol armor that she had taken off earlier for the sake of the meal, properly kitted, she and Zho set off towards Cut Throat Alley, the darkest dead-end alley in all of Stormwind, Lil had been there only once before, a long time ago.
“What do we do when we get there?” Zho asked.
“First we talk to them, if they try anything we bash their faces in, and if all else fails, we improvise.” Lil cracked her knuckles.

The alley was even darker than Lil had remembered it, there was a beggar in rags sitting near the entrance to the alley.
“Please, fair ladies, alms for the poor?”
“Leave, now, you don’t want to be here in five minutes.”
The beggar gave Lil a questioning look, which was met with a harsh glare.
“Now!”
The beggar staggered up and walked off, looking over his shoulder every now and then, every time Lil’s eyes would stare back at him.
“It was for his best.” Lil looked at Zho, Zho nodded back.
Lil and Zho walked further down the alley, out of the shadows stepped men and women of many races in black robes, even a forsaken and a troll, Lil recognized a face under a hood, and she felt her hatred rise in her blood. Beatrice. Beatrice flinched as she felt Lil’s eyes upon her, she had not forgotten their last encounter evidently, and Lil reckoned she wasn’t here from her own will. Lil moved her eyes to the other figures, counting them, there were a total of seven robed figures in front of Lil and Zho, four of which were initiates by the looks of the markings on their robes. Lil narrowed her eyes. Then the forsaken man started speaking, he had a surprisingly clean voice, and an upper class accent.
“Well, well, you are early, lightmancer, and not alone either, tsk tsk tsk, I told you there would be consequences for such transgressions.” He clapped his hands twice and the initiates started moving towards them. Lil pulled her pistol in an instant and cocked it and pointed it at the forsaken man.
“Nobody moves, or Mr. Dead-face here will die.”
The forsaken laughed.
“Oh, that gun won’t work on me, I’m afraid.”
“I bet you’re a lousy card player, because I think you’re bluffing.”
“And how about you, do you know when to fold, or do you always keep playing?”
The initiates looked at the forsaken, the forsaken nodded at them and they all readied spells, Zho readied her weapons, the situation was getting out of hand for both parties very quickly. There was tense silence.
“We both have something the other wants, name it and let’s get this over with, and we might all live to see another day.”
“Very well, bring forth the relic!”
Beatrice produced something covered in black cloth from the sleeve of her robe, handing it to the forsaken. The forsaken carefully unwrapped the cloth with the tips of his bony fingers, uncovering a brightly glowing orb, Lil recognized it as an Aldor relic used to banish evil and restless spirits, often used during burials and exorcisms an utmost rare item these days, the forsaken would not be able to touch it directly, or it would cause him great pain and suffering, if not death!
“Now, the ice shard, please.”
Lil produced the shard from a pouch in her belt, still pointing the pistol at the forsaken. She held it up for a moment.
“Put it down on the ground, I will do the same with the orb.”
They put the relics down on the ground, not averting their gazes from each other a single moment.
“Kick them over on three, okay?” Lil said calmly.
Lil and the forsaken counted in unison.
“One... Two... Three.”
They kicked each other’s relics across the ground gently, and picked them up.
“We have both done something foolish today, but this feud would go nowhere without this foolishness, I can tell you that much. Time will show who is the better card player.” The forsaken tucked his hands into the sleeves of his robe. Lil didn’t say anything, and she and Zho slowly backed away out of the alley. The robed figures backed away into the shadows.

Out of the alley they holstered their weapons and walked off.
“No tricks up your sleeves, Lil?”
“It’s too nice a day to shed blood on. They may not be honorable people, but I have honor myself, and will act as such.”
Zho nodded.
“And thank you, love, for coming with me.” Lil smiled and gave Zho a good smooch on the lips.
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Return to Lilandris the Lightmancer