Do I know you?

Take a look into the life of a not-so-ordninary servant of the light!

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 18 Dec 2012, 23:08

Do I know you?

Do I know you?

Outside the rain was pouring down, the occasional distant thunderclap sounded in the distance from the sea. Lil sat reclined at a desk staring out of the window beyond it, she was supposed to be sorting out letters to the residence, but she had gotten bored of the task for the moment, most of the letters were addressed to Keurlan anyway, so the task was somewhat pointless in the first place. But on a rainy day like this there was little else to do than to busy oneself however you could. Keurlan was out of town on “business”, Lil knew better than to poke her nose into her boyfriend’s work-affairs, not that she cared what he was doing or whom it was for, all that mattered is that he was away, leaving Lil alone to herself in their house in the Mage District. Lil shifted her gaze from the features outside the window down to the right hand side of the desk, and the ashtray that sat there. The remains of a tobacco roll that she had smoked a short while ago lay within it. Lil grabbed the tobacco pouch and the tiny box of papers next to the ashtray, slowly she rolled herself another tobacco roll. She took a match from the paper-box and placed the tip down on the tabletop, she waited for a second or two before pulling it along the tabletop in a quick manner to make it light up. She lit up the roll and puffed on it a few times before shaking the match out and placing it in the ashtray. She sighed and stared out of the window once again.

Suddenly there were knocks on the door. Lil flinched in her seat, who could be out in the streets in this weather, much less coming to do business with Keurlan right on his very doorstep, she assumed it was for Keurlan anyway. Lil flicked the ashes from her tobacco roll and stood up and stretched her arms and twisted her back as if she had just gotten out of bed. The knocks repeated. She went to the door with slightly hurried steps and opened it just enough to reveal whoever was standing outside. A draenei lady slightly older than Lil stood there, with large plated shoulderpads and a shield on her back, however there was no weapon on her hip. The rest of the lady’s clothing consisted of a simple brown and white robe with the hood up over her head, to cover for the rain. Upon seeing Lil appear in the doorway, the woman went stiff, she seemed anxious, nervous even. However after a moment of befuddlement, a smile came to the woman’s lips.
“Can I help you?” Lil asked in a low and almost monotonous voice, barely making effort to tone her sentence into a question.
The woman answered in the expected draenei accent that most of their kind carried. Lil was different like that, she barely had an accent herself.
“H-help me... I.. I.. I don’t.. Oh my..” The woman stuttered.
“Are you alright, miss? You seem a bit pinched.” Lil looked inquisitively at the strange lady, she took a drag from the tobacco roll in her left hand.
“N-never better, actually.” The lady seemed to compose herself. “It’s -you-, I mean, it really is -you-! The tattoo, the mark... they’re right there!”
“They have been for a while, yes, what is the meaning of this?”
“Apologies, si- miss... You -are- Lilandris Len are you not?”
Lil stiffened as she heard her surname uttered. She lowered her eyebrows into an even more inquisitive stare.
“ Do I know you? How do you know my surname!? There’s very few people who know it, and I sure as hell don’t remember telling it to you, stranger. Explain yourself, right now!” Lil’s eyes flashed once.
The lady was startled by Lil’s reaction, it must have been quite unexpected.
“Alright, alright! I-.. How do I say this... I am your sister!”
It was Lil’s turn to be caught off guard now, but quickly recovered back to her defensiveness.
“Hah, that’s rich, I was an only child, fool, I think I’d know if I had a sister. My patience is gone, so leave.” Lil was about to close the door.
“Wait! I can prove it!” The lady quickly put her hoof in the doorway and brushed the hair away from her forehead, revealing the mark, similar to the one Lil had in her own forehead, a knife in a rock-shard.
Lil went speechless upon seeing the mark and her eyes widened as if she had been spooked.
“Please, let me come inside and I can introduce myself and I can explain further.”
“Very well, come on in.” Lil pushed the door all the way open to allow the woman to enter. Lil eyed her cautiously as she entered. She peeked outside before closing the door.

“I don’t know what to say, what to believe!” The two sat down at a table.
“You don’t need to say or believe anything just yet.”
“Very well, go on then, tell me your story.”
“Yes, I am Kynidris Len, I have papers that can prove my surname to be the same as yours. I was given to the orphanage at birth, the reason for it I do not know. I was never adopted, so I kept our family name at least.”
Lil’s face remained expressionless, she was a little confused and at the same time struggling with her conscience, thinking of her mother, she tried her best not to show it.
“Well I must admit our body features align.” Lil spoke almost monotonously again.
“They do, don’t they?” Kynidris offered a smile, Lil smiled back, surprisingly enough.
Kynidris looked around the room, it was apparent that most of the things around the house belonged to Keurlan. However, on the mantlepiece above the fireplace there were some flowers and an ornate box, and next to the box there was a picture, Kynidris got up from her chair to inspect the items closer. Lil eyed her closely for a moment before she got up herself and followed her over to the fireplace. Kynidris looked at the picture, another draenei lady was depicted in it.
“Amazing what gnomish technology can do, huh?” Lilandris commented.
“Is this..?” Kynidris picked up the picture.
Lil chuckled
“No, that’s.. uh.. my ex-wife actually.” Lil took the last drag from her tobacco roll then tossed the remains into the fireplace.
“Ah, I see... so you’re..”
“Yes.” Lil nodded and smiled.
“Wow, you seem to have lived quite a life, been married, and I’m sure you’re also quite a respected lady of the light. My own life seems so... small, now.” Kynidris put the picture back in it’s place on the mantlepiece.
“It doesn’t look as grand from my point of view, but I guess I may be a few experiences richer than some.” Lil gazed at the picture herself.
“Isn’t it a bit odd to have a picture of your ex on the mantlepiece?”
“Well, let’s just say we are still on friendly terms, we just... drifted apart I guess, we were always busy with our own things, in the end we didn’t take enough time for each other. We decided that there was no point in keeping it going further. It sounds so.. strange when I tell it this way, but I assure you there were tears that day.”
“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have pried.”
“It’s okay... Sister.” Lil sniffled.
Kynidris turned her head to look at Lil, she seemed surprised that Lil had called her ‘sister’.
“After all this time... I can’t believe I have a sister!” Lil sniffled as she spoke before hugging Kynidris tightly.
“So you believe me then?”
“My heart knew at once.”
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Return to Lilandris the Lightmancer