virus and threat removal guide

They're watching. All the time. Everywhere.

Topic/Postby Lintissa » 30 Apr 2015, 22:59

Thank you Torm'

I use the free anti-virus from Microsoft. I have only heard good things about it. On top of that I try not to do anything stupid that would cause me to get a virus. An interesting guide would be one of good practices to avoid getting malware in the first place.

At the moment I am experimenting with an uninstall of Abobe's flash player and using alternative ways of viewing online videos.
alis grave nil
Lintissa
Holy Smiter

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 02 May 2015, 18:41

The free anti virus of Miicrosoft is actually the basic anti virus AV test labs use to check how much better every other AV goes, so as a basic AV, sure it's okay, but if you use your bank account, paypal, credit cards, I'd advise to get a better free version, such as Bitdefender free, or if you wish more advanced options in the free version, Avast.

Don't even touch AVG, it's supposedly good but too often have i found viruses on AVG protected machines as a technician.

Apart from that I would advise having the free version of Malwarebytes Anti malware and Malwarebytes Anti exploit, both have a free version available and they do a heck of a job.

Malwarebytes anti malware detects adwares malwares etc that normal AVs don't detect, they have gotten a grade of 100% against Malware removal.
the paid version of it includes an active defense (totally worth it)

Malwarebytes Anti exploit is actually more needed these days than it used to, These days there are more and more exploit kits hiding as ads on legitimate websites. Google had a short encounter with them, big news websites. plus, it's totally free for the active protection of common browsers (internet explorer, chrome, Firefox)

I shall post a guide for how to use your computer safely, need to refine it though a bit

Double post merged on 02 May 2015 19:41

Forgot to add to it, the malwarebytes anti malware should be run ever two weeks or so and run a "threat scan"
any files it detects are adwares or malware.

Before you start a scan though make sure to go under settings and enable "scan for rootkits"
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Shevron » 02 May 2015, 18:48

Yeah AVG is shite.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Tormeron likes this post.
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Lintissa » 07 May 2015, 21:57

This thread made me think. Looking around the internet the general opinion is that the free anti virus from Microsoft is okay, but I could do better. For free anti-virus Avast and Avira seemed to come out on top, I decided to go with Avira. All the products that Torm' has listed are all highly regarded.

Having said all of the above, if you get an infection you can't rely on your any anti-virus to keep you safe. Good practice online will keep you safe.
alis grave nil
Lintissa
Holy Smiter

Topic/Postby Falcore » 29 May 2015, 16:52

Actually common sense is incredily easy to sell, just put some sugar in a empty container, and put the sloguns "helps keep your heart healthy", "good for children" and "reduces chelestrol" on it, charge £9.99 for it and tell people they have to keep using it for it to work.
The song "The Final Countdown" is now playing in your head.
Tormeron likes this post.
Falcore
Insert Giraffe noise here

Previous

Return to Tinfoil Hat Members' Club