Scam example

They're watching. All the time. Everywhere.

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 26 May 2015, 10:55

Scam example

Greetings friends,

I have just now received this attempt of scam to my Gmail,
While this is web related it can happen in whatever other field you may work or study at.
It might come from your university or your place of work.

This is quite advanced since they did some research to find out my real name and didn't just post what my name as it appears at Gmail.

If you ever receive a mail from an institute or place that asks you to follow a link, instead of following the link access the website of that place by typing the address yourself manually and making sure.

If you are too lazy to do that, do double check the actual address it will send you to by hovering your mouse above the link, a small snippet will appear that will tell you the address that this link actually leads to.
Dear Valued Bluehost Customer [real name].

Your account contains more than 8148 directories and may pose a potential performance risk to the server.
Please reduce the number of directories for your account to prevent possible account deactivation.

In order to prevent your account from being locked out we recommend that you create special tmp directory.

Or use the link below:
Code: Select all
https://m.bluehost.com/main.asp?do=e2c4c0b38669387a2a842e1fe391d233
(if you would click that link you would be sent to since they used basic HTML to forge this mail
Code: Select all
http://webholod.ru/data/wpwqkxdhbt.html?wpwqkxdhbt=e2c4c0b38669387a2a842e1fe391d233

Thank you,
Bluehost
Toll Free: (888) 401-4678
Outside US: 1 (801) 765-9400
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Shevron » 26 May 2015, 10:58

And if you fall for that kind of email, you're a moron, and you deserve all the pain that comes afterwards with that click.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 26 May 2015, 11:04

Not everyone is good at computers or understands the risks, most people who use their email barely know anything about scams, they think it requires them to actually type their credit card to actually be a scam, lot of scams can be just trying to get your identity (usernames, emails, Passwords, credit card numbers) all these are of value for scammers.
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Traest » 26 May 2015, 12:19

My favourite scam email was one asking to input the details for my Chase Manhattan Credit Card to verify my account. Because of course I have a credit card account with an American bank...
Traest
Will stab things for gold

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 26 May 2015, 19:48

Traest on 26 May 2015 13:19 wrote:My favourite scam email was one asking to input the details for my Chase Manhattan Credit Card to verify my account. Because of course I have a credit card account with an American bank...

Of course you do... Don't you? :Q

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Erethas » 27 May 2015, 13:48

Are your initials J.W? Because if they are, it took me around 20 seconds to find your real name.
You are now breathing manually.
Erethas
Rhymer

Topic/Postby Shevron » 27 May 2015, 13:57

Oh dear.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Erethas » 27 May 2015, 14:40

By the way, I just mention this to really point out how important Torm's post is. You can never really hide in the internet nowadays, so better be prepared.
You are now breathing manually.
Erethas
Rhymer

Topic/Postby Traest » 27 May 2015, 16:04

Mine? Nope, nowhere near.
Traest
Will stab things for gold

Topic/Postby Shevron » 27 May 2015, 16:15

Traest on 27 May 2015 17:04 wrote:Mine? Nope, nowhere near.

He was referring to Torm's.
Shevron
Resident Grump

Next

Return to Tinfoil Hat Members' Club