AVG's dark side

They're watching. All the time. Everywhere.

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 19 Sep 2015, 22:37

AVG's dark side

Think AVG is good, do you? (yoda's voice)
Think AVG keep you safe, yes?

Fear, anger, not enough revenue lead to the dark side.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/09/avg-antivirus.html

To summarize, AVG is going to sell users information (not personal, just your browsing history, what you typed in your searches and anything else which isn't "personal", so your name is safe... anything else, is fair game!

Just a caution for those using AVG
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Traest » 19 Sep 2015, 23:58

Awwww, man. I get weird enough "targeted" ads as it is, without AVG weighing in.
Traest
Will stab things for gold

Topic/Postby Shevron » 20 Sep 2015, 02:44

AVG is a pile of shit anyways.

Always was.

Hogs resources and detects nothing.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 17 Nov 2015, 10:14

Short thread resurrection:

AVG doesn't detect nothing, it does detect false positives!
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Gergel » 17 Nov 2015, 13:06

Tormeron on 17 Nov 2015 12:14 wrote:AVG doesn't detect nothing

Hang on, I'm getting confused. If you say "doesn't detect nothing" then do you mean to say that whenever AVG scans a computer, it refuses to say "nothing detected" and instead will falsely detect a random virus for you, so that it can never say "found nothing"?

(Or did you mean to say "AVG doesn't detect anything", in which case: got any proof for that rather strong claim?)

Tormeron on 17 Nov 2015 12:14 wrote:AVG doesn't detect nothing, it does detect false positives!

Can you provide a link to substantiate those claims? I mean, I last used AVG a decade or so ago, and I can't say I'm a fan of theirs, but really, just throwing random accusations without any evidence is a bit rude.
What kind of sick individual burns a book full of perfectly good dark arts?!
- Darkscryer Raastok
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Shevron » 17 Nov 2015, 13:22

Well I did encounter a number of PCs in the past couple of years, with AVG installed (paid version mind, not the free one) and were still riddled with viruses and trojans.

The same kind that between Microsoft's Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti Malware (free version), got rid of everything quite nicely.

And AVG remained running in the background none the wiser.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 17 Nov 2015, 17:30

I don't have screenshots Gergel, but I've found a number of pcs running avg, running alongside viruses and reporting to the user that all is fine. most of those viruses were trojans, which is quite interesting.

I have nothing personal against AVG, there are a number of other AV companies which aren't adequate to protect the user, though AVG had a whole article about their dark side, others didn't so far as i know.

regarding proof, I'll give you a test run by a lab doing those tests:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-conte ... 509_en.pdf

Their antivirus misses a LOT of stuff on most tests run to test them.

This test was done September 2015

Tormeron
The soup master

Return to Tinfoil Hat Members' Club