Windows 10 auto upgrade

They're watching. All the time. Everywhere.

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 10 Dec 2015, 12:21

Windows 10 auto upgrade

Greetings fellow friends,

Here is a short guide how to avoid having microsoft auto upgrade your system to windows 10 without your consent.

Microsoft has decided to take it one step further the project of moving everyone to windows 10 by adding the upgrade to the recommended updates in windows update service.

If you are happy with the operating system you have and have no wish to get the upgrade automatically this guide is for you!

1. Click the start menu and type in the run box "windows update" (alternatively you can click the windows key on the keyboard + R and type "wuapp.exe" in the run box)
2. Once the windows update window pops up, go to change settings on the side menu.
3. uncheck the "Give me recommended updates the same way i receive important updates"
Optional: If you wish to stop getting updates automatically and choose which updates you wish to receive, change the box from "install updates automatically" to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Shevron » 10 Dec 2015, 17:16

Or, you could ... you know ... move on.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Sarawr likes this post.
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 10 Dec 2015, 21:09

Me no like windows 10, something sounds fishy to me when a company is pushing so hard for people to get it free.

Especially when this same company is supposedly mostly earning from selling it's OS
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Shevron » 10 Dec 2015, 21:15

Tormeron on 10 Dec 2015 22:09 wrote:Especially when this same company is supposedly mostly earning from selling it's OS

And that's where you're wrong. OS sales are very secondary for MS.

Their cash cows are Office and server licences.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Sarawr » 10 Dec 2015, 22:16

To add, I think Microsoft are pushing it because they have plans to cease support for older systems. Which is wise if their resources are decidedly put to everything else where they get the money from (like Office etc).
Traest wrote:RP is like farting. If you have to force it, it's probably shit.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Sarawr

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 10 Dec 2015, 22:25

then give all home users the OS for free if it's not a revenue they are interested in so much :Q

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Sarawr » 10 Dec 2015, 22:33

Well, aren't they doing that already by giving 10 free for all who have their previous system already? It is not like they will stop supporting 10 as it is their current system, but as Shev said, if it is sold it is very secondary income for MS.

Sarawr

Topic/Postby Traest » 10 Dec 2015, 22:42

At a guess, because it standardises everything from a customer service viewpoint. They can cut down teams for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1, and have a dedicated team for Windows 10.

When dealing with a large user base, having a standard baseline that everyone knows is the ideal. The current technology allows Microsoft to do that, so they're pushing it.

I genuinely think Windows 10 is an attempt to standardise Microsofts OS user base.
Sarawr likes this post.
Traest
Will stab things for gold

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 10 Dec 2015, 22:53

Maybe, though I still have my doubts if it's the only reason.

If you want to standardise your user base, you don't force push the upgrade, you offer it.

I do not claim i know there is another motive behind it, but for me when a business offers me something for free i ask "what's the catch?"

I have been taught there is nothing truly free in life, everything comes with a price, some have a monetary price, others are more hidden.

For example, while linux is gaining in popularity in some places, Linux is still not standing up to Windows in gaming, though it is striding in the right direction.

the price you pay when using the free linux distros is that you don't have the windows compatibility for gaming and such. it's a price that is not monetary, but it does take away something from you.

For me personally if i can't see the price i have to pay for it, I suspect it until time proves otherwise.

Might be just me, but until today this instinct served me well.

-- 10 Dec 2015 23:53 --

Also, this guide was written for those who don't wish to upgrade or shouldn't upgrade because they need programs which are yet to have support on windows 10.

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Sarawr » 10 Dec 2015, 23:26

Well, I have to say that I like to play the games like solitaire and so on, and on 10 they have them on their own program. It has ads which doesn't disturb me that much but there is the option of payment in order to remove them.

Other than that, they did in fact offer it first, and now they are pushing it. It is not like they were pushing it from the very beginning. Plus they offer it free to those who had 7 or 8(.1) already. Others have to buy it. So what's the catch? You are not forced to pay anything for the upgrade because you are already their customer and this way they guarantee you will stay as their customer when they provide their new system for free. If you don't like it, why not change to Linux or Mac if you are so against the upgrade itself?

Sarawr

Next

Return to Tinfoil Hat Members' Club