Old HDDs disposal

They're watching. All the time. Everywhere.

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 04 Dec 2016, 10:44

Old HDDs disposal

Hey friends,

You know that time that you sell or give away your old hardware to friends or family or just pure strangers.

Now I don't know about you, but you will have used your computer to store all kinds of private material that you don't wish to share with the person you are giving the hard drive to.

Instead of "keeping" the hard drive for safety, there is an easy command in windows 7 and up that will wipe the volume clear.

the following is the way to do it: Don't skim through it, read carefully! (if you aren't sure, ask me)

1. Connect the old HDD to your new pc, or any other pc that has windows 7 and up.

2. click on WIN+R or go to the run on your start bar

3. type in "cmd" without the "

4. menu click the command prompt and choose "run as administrator"

5. go to my computer and format the drive you wish to dispose of (double check before formatting that you are formatting the right one) it can be a quick format

6. after the format is done, go back to the command prompt and type in the following: (assuming the drive letter is X, if it is any other drive letter, replace the X with the drive letter you wish to wipe clean)
a. X:
b. cipher /w:X

7. wait for it to finish, takes a very long time, so you might want to start it in the morning and let it run in the background. This operations is minimal on the CPU, so you can keep doing whatever the hell you want on the other drives.
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Return to Tinfoil Hat Members' Club