Devavictrix Vs. Blizzard: Act 2

For all your discussion needs regarding Warcraft and the world it resides in.

Topic/Postby Serendipity » 12 Mar 2008, 10:39

How about a discount on the next game card if they recycle the previous box? Only a pound or two and people'd definately bring them back.
Serendipity
Blorgh.

Topic/Postby Iso Victrix » 12 Mar 2008, 13:00

Bootle wrote:In my opinion, if we cared so much about the environment we wouldn't be playing this game in the first place, let alone be using power-guzzling PC's.

Where did you get the idea that environmentalism requires us to stop dead what we are doing and go plant trees instead? I love WoW, and I'm also an environmentalist after studying Sustainable Development for 3 years. The two are completely compatible.

Not all environmentalists are extremists.

Voca wrote:But yeah, this is kinda a drop in the ocean compared to the other things causing quite a few problems environmentally. Still maintain that if I didn't get craploads of random DVD cases from probably dubious sources, I'd probably end up buying a pack of them from a supermarket, and add to the environmental chaos anyway. Maybe it's just me who doesn't class anything I reuse as "wasteful", but whatever.

No-one is expecting a Superman to come forwards and solve all our problems at once. It's small act at a grass roots level that are by far the most effective. In simply creating awareness, that's what I'm trying to do here.

Even if you do find it useful in getting a free DvD case, i'm sure that in the majority of cases it simply ends up in the bin. Would you be willing to pay a little extra to know that you've stopped (probably) tonnes and tonnes of wastage and pollution from entering the world? I've already excepted it and know that most eco-freindly alternatives are slightly more expensive.

Voca wrote:Take the crap from the UK at the moment concerning plastic bags at supermarkets. Woo, we've banned them all. How long did that take? Plus, it also took backing from the mass media and big companies to get them to change their "evil" ways (inverted commas because I know for a fact that a lot of supermarkets have been offering reusable bags in an effort to cut back for a long time, plus trying to make the disposables more biodegradable). And what are we? A relatively small butthurt proportion of their millions of subscribers? :p

I can't confess to knowing a lot about the reasons why supermarkets held onto their plastic carrier bags policy for so long but, me being the eternal cynic, I'll guess and say it has something to do with not wanting to change the status quo and/or pressure from the manufactures of those plastic bags. I knew this idea has been floating round for a long while, so maybe the manufactures have been given time to make their businesses less dependent on contracts from supermarkets? No rational environmentalist wasn't to see a company go under because of a knee-jerk legislation.

Voca wrote:Like hell they'll listen to us. It'll probably get brought up at some tiny board meeting for about 30 seconds, laughed at, and then all will move on. It sucks, yeah, but to be fair, there's not a lot anyone can do about it without some sort of mass backing from powerful sources. That's all these people listen to most of the time.

There's no harm in trying. And, like I've said, if in the very least it creates awareness then that's not half bad.

Could I ask, is there anyway that we can copy and paste some of the argument in here onto the Suggestions forum? I think the debate is healthy and the ideas (Dippy's idea) are great.
Iso Victrix

Topic/Postby Nysard » 12 Mar 2008, 13:42

Iso Victrix wrote:Could I ask, is there anyway that we can copy and paste some of the argument in here onto the Suggestions forum? I think the debate is healthy and the ideas (Dippy's idea) are great.

If you look at the Printable Version of the thread, it could be easiest way to copy paste directly into the thread on the Warcraft forums.

Other than that, not sure what best way to port it across would be, Warcraft forum's aren't compatible with pretty much themselves, let alone anything else =/:ahhhhh:
Nysard

Topic/Postby Romdjoll » 13 Mar 2008, 17:57

Recycling the case is fine, have done that myself, but still doesn't explain the "need" for so much packaging for something so little.
Shrink-wrap the little buggers, or put them in a collectable envelope...
Might make a small difference...
Romdjoll

Topic/Postby Voca » 13 Mar 2008, 18:11

I'm one hell of a sceptic at heart when it comes to environmental issues, so anyone with a different opinion tends to just dismiss anything I say right off the bat, so it's nice to see someone actually paying attention to me for once. :p

I'm not going to argue though...these things tend to just go on forever, so I'm not touching this with a ten-foot barge pole, at least not anymore.
HB: Waste exactly four hours on this tomfoolery.

If you are cold, it will warm you.
If you are too heated, it will cool you.
If you are depressed, it will cheer you.
If you are excited, it will calm you.
NOW SIT DOWN AND DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!
Voca
Exactly 26 Belgiums

Previous

Return to General Discussion.