The Top of Kul Tiras

For all your discussion needs regarding Warcraft and the world it resides in.

Topic/Postby Gergel » 23 Sep 2018, 15:41

The Top of Kul Tiras

I have a demon hunter.

What are demon hunters good for, anyway? Well, for one they're very edgy. "I have sacrificed everything! What have you given?" If you need to cut something, that edge is very sharp.

They are also great at jumping and gliding. Especially ones with Vengeance specialization. They have an ability named Infernal Strike which allows them to target an area on the ground and then instantly jump to it. There are some limitations - the area needs to be accessible according to World of Warcraft's pathing system - but it does allow traversing some steep cliffs that are normally not climbable on foot.

With this in mind, as I was running around in Stormsong Valley, I saw two lovely tall and inviting mountains that just beckoned me to climb them.

A few months (or maybe a little bit more) from now, once flying becomes available, everyone and their grandmother will be able to reach the mountaintops in minutes. But right now, with everyone ground-bound, making that climb is immensely satisfying.

(Control-click on any of the images to open a full-size version in a new tab.)

Here we are: at the bottom of those two mountains. Gooooing up!

At first the path is pretty easily traversable for anyone.

But soon the snowy mountainside just refuses to allow climbing. Time to bring out the jumping skills. Off we go! (Notice the green targeting circle on the ground over yonder.)

Phew, it's been a pretty long climb already. The whole valley is in the palm of my hand.

Here we are, at the summit of the smaller of these mountains. It's a good start.

A ridge runs between this mountain and the taller one. It's easy to get nearly to the top of the second mountain.

But here we once again find traversal more difficult. Those paths look easy enough, but cannot be climbed on foot. Lots of jumping ahead.

Phew. Finally at the top! But what's this, someone has already been here. And gotten themselves killed as well. Looks like a mighty battle took place between a Kul Tiran and a dragon...

...with both of them ending up dead. I wonder if this is Kul Tiran stuff of legends.

Here we are on the map.

Sadly the view from this height is very foggy, even though I turned view distance to max.

The distant lighthouse can still be made out. Which is only appropriate.

Waaaaaaaait a minute! What's that? Another mountain? Even taller than this one? What INSOLENCE!!! I must conquer it!

What's the most sensible thing to do when at the top of a mountain? Jumping off of it, of course! Wheeeeee! Looks like Edresi's wings have seen some wear and tear.

We're now in Drustvar. Second climb is a-go!

Hey! I can see... someone's... house from here!

Moving towards the top, one jump at a time. Not shown: several failed attempts from a mountainside that's too steep even for a demon hunter. The other side is better, but even there I had to do a few tricky double-leaps (jump halfway, then jump quickly again before sliding down from the first landing site).

From here the going gets easier. It's possible to move even on foot.

Once again someone has made it here first. Dagnabbit! Looks like a fellow demon hunter, no less. Well, I, on the other hand, am planning on also leaving alive.

No dragon skeleton to be found at the very top of this mountain. These look like the remains of Azeroth's first and only weather satellite made from springs and wood.

This is where we are now. The map appears to be faulty: the mountain is depicted to the east, but I am most certainly at its top. There are no taller mountains in sight.

Did I mention jumping off mountain? Because this is what you do once you climb a mountain. This. Is. So. Awesome!

It takes a long time to float down across this snowy Drustvar landscape.

Two minutes and twenty-six seconds later I finally land in the other end of the zone, right next to the Tortollan world-quest-giver!
What kind of sick individual burns a book full of perfectly good dark arts?!
- Darkscryer Raastok
3 people like this post.
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Shevron » 23 Sep 2018, 16:31

Thanks for the tour.

That was lovely!
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Serendipity » 24 Sep 2018, 09:42

Ha, awesome reading! Is it higher than Mount Hyjal?
Serendipity
Blorgh.

Topic/Postby Gergel » 24 Sep 2018, 10:40

I never did climb Mount Hyjal back when it was still inaccessible content. By the time Cataclysm rolled around, it was accessible by flying, so now my perceptions are skewed. This Mount Cortis feels taller than anything I've climbed, but there might be taller mountains in Pandaria or old world.

Thinking about it, I should take Edresi to Zandalar as well. I've seen some mighty fine mountains there.
What kind of sick individual burns a book full of perfectly good dark arts?!
- Darkscryer Raastok
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Cherwina » 24 Sep 2018, 16:25

Officially, the highest mountain on Azeroth is in Pandaria but considering there's no consistency of scale between one expansion and another, it's quite possible that Cortis is larger in game. Hyjal is actually quite short as it goes in game (about the same height as Blackrock) but it's more important for is overall size (and entire zone) than it's height.
Cherwina
Druidess of Eldre'thalas

Return to General Discussion.