Open RP events: Q&A

Perhaps you're organising an event, or maybe know of one, here's the place to let the world know.

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 03 Sep 2014, 21:54

Open RP events: Q&A

Greetings fellow friends and guests,

It has come to my attention, by a number of people that you assume my RP events are preset and predetermined, it's a bit hard to explain exactly how I plan my RP events, but i shall attempt to do so, please feel free to ask anything about the subject below so you shall fully grasp what i mean by "open".

About the planning of such an event:

When i plan these events it's unlike planning a regular event since i honestly don't know what you will do or what conclusions you shall reach, i need to adapt and have some stuff ready in case you all don't reach the same conclusions i had planned.

I plan the event in a very broad way, meaning i try not to get too caught up with specifics regarding if they do X do Y etc...

I write down a storyline that goes all around the world of warcraft, not just in the certain area you currently are going through, meaning that even if you leave the zone I will still have quests for you around, some might be more active filled others more relaxed.

Telling you that you have a free choice as to what to do, i do mean it, while i might limit certain stuff for the benefit of it sounding plausible or not "world breaking". If you shall decide to attack Varian, you'd most likely not be able to actually kill him due to it being "world breaking".

Questions? anything at all about it, lay it down here and i shall try and tackle it one by one to explain my way of creating an open RP event and what it means.

please excuse me if i have grammatical mistakes.

Please number the questions so i don't miss a question inside the text by accident.
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Gergel » 03 Sep 2014, 22:32

I've actually been wondering something for a while, but not sufficiently to make a new thread about it. But since there's now this here Q&A thread, I can get this question asked.

1. Reputation. Does it work in the open RP events?

Let's say the group is stopped on the road by Stormwind guards. These are real guards (not the kind of fake ones we met in Menethil that one time), working on real Stormwind business. They are not malevolently inclined, just doing their job. The guards stop the group and want to search them, or detain them, or turn them back. Then my character, who happens to be exalted with Stormwind faction in-game, steps up and says: "hey guys, surely you know me, the dude all Stormwind likes. I've done a lot of good for the people of Stormwind, so maybe you could return the favour and let us pass?"

What's the guards' response?
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 03 Sep 2014, 23:09

Gergel makes a fair point. Adding to his question, it is plausible that our characters know a few people... Makes sense that for example Lil knows a few of the upstanding folk in the Cathedral (though as often pointed out she doesn't like most of them), and that this would potentially give her a few perks to throw around. No doubt a lot of people, maybe even among the higher-ups know her name by now.
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Topic/Postby Tibithea » 04 Sep 2014, 06:11

And in that case Tibbie (if she ever gets the chance to come along again) may know some of the other merchants around town (maybe not on a friendly basis depending on how you would like to play them) since she is technically one herself and spends a lot of time in Stormwind plying her trade (or in in-game speak levelling her professions :p).
Tibithea
Rhymer

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 04 Sep 2014, 07:30

Gergel wrote:1. Reputation. Does it work in the open RP events?

The short answer, yes.
The longer one i would say that in the specific scenario you described Gergel it's perfectly plausible that you could use your standing or popularity to gain some "favors".
But do remember even amongst the guards their are some that don't like the death knights too much, thinking they might have changed now, but who knows later.

About the expansion of the question by Lilandris, you could say you know certain high up people, but do remember you can't pull that card too often or even those people won't vouch for you anymore, think about it like in real life, you can pull a string a limited number of times before that person tells you he's tired of doing so.

To Tibithea's question, yes, but even amongst merchants there are rivalries, see as you might sell products they sell as well.

I'll say this though be careful about what you mention you did since big events that happened to the world cannot all be given credit to all of you.
I will try and give you some favor each for stuff that you did but don't go about saying:
"I've saved you King varian, I killed onyxia!" .
Because clearly, not everyone have gone about to kill onyxia, you might have been part of the process though, Investigating, helping finding it out, even fighting her, but not every single one of you has killed onyxia.
Think about whether it would make sense that a simple tradesman to be the one to kill onyxia or such.
keep to your stories please.

Feel free to ask more, i want it to be clear what exactly i do or don't take into account.
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 04 Sep 2014, 12:21

By all means, if you say you are best buddies with the king of Stormwind it's essentially a "god-emote". Because quite frankly, despite being a hero AND rubbing elbows with him a lot in the game itself, from an RP perspective, it's highly unlikely that you've even spoken to him, even if you've taken part in any of his campaigns. (Operation Shieldwall for example)

The key here is moderation of course, both the way you pointed out, Tormeron, with "you can only pull a string so many times", and the level of status of the people you in theory might have some sort of relationship with. Tiermaya for example, being part of a noble family, will obviously know other families from the House of Nobles in Stormwind, and being part of the nobility also gives her a level of status by default. Obviously this sort of thing can just as much go both ways, and having a status might make you unfavorable in certain crowds, sure as hell Lil is probably not that popular in the darker corners of Stormwind.

But I digress. Do we know people and have a level of status? Yes. Does this mean we can surf on it every time? No.
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Return to Events.