Windows 10 First impressions

Perhaps you've written a guide on a class or profession you want to share. Maybe you're an expert on mods and addons and want to share a guide you've made. If so, here's the place to do it!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 17 Dec 2015, 19:22

Windows 10 First impressions

Greetings friends,

After getting to know windows 10 a bit after upgrading the pc at work I've decided to give some highlights of the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good:
1. More responsive, Faster to operate
2. Memory is managed slightly better
3. Settings are easier to access using the search bar

The bad:
1. The blend of windows 8.1 with windows 7 Start menu does it not comfortable for both, They should have just made two options for you to choose from like they did with XP
2. Cortana initially on, While a digital assistant can be great, it should be a question whether you want it to be active
3. No control over when updates are applied and / or downloaded.

The ugly:
1. Some settings to shut down certain features have been well hidden and in the home version removed entirely.
2. Control panel is slightly more confusing than it used to be, you have the notification bar settings and the control panel, not sure why not make them all available through the control panel.

Conclusions:
Windows 10 is a step forward from older OSes in regards to speed and memory management, while some features are a welcomed blessing, some are just plain annoying to have been added to the core of windows 10.

While I still have just started using windows 10, I can see some major benefits for gamers, The increased memory management will surely add to the speed of games, and the new directx support will also be a good thing.

The main issue I currently have with windows 10 is their lack of user approvals during installations regarding certain features that might seem an invasion to your privacy.

Whether or not i suggest other to upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes, but...
if you do upgrade to windows 10, you should take certain steps to ensure Windows 10 is working as you wish it to be and not just as Microsoft wishes it to be.

Double post merged on 17 Dec 2015 20:21

Hidden / hard to shut down features: automatic updates, turning off cortana and switching to the search bar,
The Automatic updates can only be adjusted using the group policy and only with pro and above versions.

In order to change it in home version you need to download a script to install the group policy MMC snap in.

Double post merged on 17 Dec 2015 20:22

Privacy guide for Windows 10 shall be posted Sunday when i have access to the OS.
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

serendipity wrote:Reason: Potato.

Events stories, Torm's events thread Suggestion box
Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Traest » 17 Dec 2015, 19:36

Tormeron on 17 Dec 2015 18:22 wrote:2. Cortana initially on, While a digital assistant can be great, it should be a question whether you want it to be active

I was asked if I wanted to activate Cortana during setup...
Sarawr likes this post.
Traest
Will stab things for gold

Topic/Postby Sarawr » 17 Dec 2015, 19:54

Same here with Traest. Didn't agree to it.

Double post merged on 17 Dec 2015 20:45

Actually, Cortana isn't supported in this area and with this language (Finnish), so it's disabled for that reason. :Q

Double post merged on 17 Dec 2015 20:47

Also, I found the settings for Cortana just by clicking the logo and typing it. Not that hard to find if you know how to use the search feature, really.

Double post merged on 17 Dec 2015 20:54

Also, found the additional settings for when the updates takes place. And, considering that you are testing it at work, do you have admin access? If you don't, that might be the reason why you can't tweak with things properly. If you are at work, it is obvious why they don't have the home version there.

I suggest that if you really want to test it out, do it on your home computer and not at work.
Traest wrote:RP is like farting. If you have to force it, it's probably shit.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Sarawr

Topic/Postby Shevron » 17 Dec 2015, 22:16

Windows 10 is love. Windows 10 is life.
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Sarawr likes this post.
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 17 Dec 2015, 22:17

I have admin access, the version I have at work is Home edition and it lacks certain settings.

Did you do a brand new install or upgrade?
Lilandris wrote:Liandrix' words not mine, but Tormeron is a god apparently. Probably a bit like Loki.

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Sarawr » 17 Dec 2015, 23:17

Upgrade, which actually did a complete new install when it happened (took a few hours, restarts and waiting, but everything worked fine in the end).

It's curious that your work uses the home edition. I would think work places had the professional ones with limited features. Unless you used the script you mentioned in the first post, which makes me think: was it legal?

Double post merged on 18 Dec 2015 00:17

What settings are you specifically looking for? If it's anything related to Data privacy, I certainly found lots of settings under the said title in Settings.
Traest wrote:RP is like farting. If you have to force it, it's probably shit.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Sarawr

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 18 Dec 2015, 00:23

I have already found all of it, and yes, it is legal, it's a script which simply install the Group policy snap in

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Gergel » 22 Dec 2015, 08:48

Found this recently.

If you don't like Windows 10 gathering and transmitting telemetry data (who does, except those people in Microsoft who insisted on implementing it?), then you might find use for Spybot Anti-Beacon (not to be confused with anti-bacon, which would be horrid [and also cause a massive matter/antimatter annihilation explosion]). Anti-Beacon allows you to disable and blackhole various data and telemetry gathering subsystems in Windows 10.
What kind of sick individual burns a book full of perfectly good dark arts?!
- Darkscryer Raastok
2 people like this post.
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Tormeron » 22 Dec 2015, 16:14

Seems nice and seems to be working!

Tormeron
The soup master

Topic/Postby Shevron » 22 Dec 2015, 16:17

"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Next

Return to Guides.