Mods for Legion

The Black Temple was merely a setback. Again.

Topic/Postby Cherwina » 29 Jul 2016, 09:25

Mods for Legion

So, I've been away a looooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time and even though most of the important mods I used have successfully updated, I have no idea what I was doing with them or where most of my spells went. Consequently, I decided to reset and start afresh and was wondering what your recommendations were for useful mods these days?

Please bare in mind, this is a UI I will use across all classes and I'm unlike to do raiding again any time soon. I'm currently setting up and trying the following:

• Bartender4
  • Tidy Plates
  • Sexy Map
  • Archy
  • Altoholic
  • Prat
Cherwina
Druidess of Eldre'thalas

Topic/Postby Shevron » 29 Jul 2016, 09:38

Moved under the WoW:Legion forum :)
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Juste » 29 Jul 2016, 09:53

Blizzard has made some improvements on the UI and lots of stuff looks like more customizable. I think I will try to manage without addons for now exept for Auctioneer addon just to keep an eye on AH prices.

I might try Weakauras for Retribution paladin at some point. Heard it works well for them.
Stand your ground, child, keep your senses. The pain is fleeting, but victory is forever.
Juste
Halberd enthusiast

Topic/Postby Gergel » 29 Jul 2016, 11:09

Ooh. My favourite subject since yesterday.

So I noticed that WoW was struggling to log in and change zones. At one point it got so bad that a character never managed to log in at all, got stuck at the loading screen with the loading bar at full. At this point I decided that I would go and wipe all of my settings (Interface, WDB, WTF) and start afresh.

So now I'm rebuilding my mod collection to add only stuff that I really need, configuring them from scratch and knowing that there are no ancient broken SavedVariables in the way.

Here's what I have come up with thus far. Writing this from memory as I'm at work, so I might miss a few bits.

User Interface / Appearance.

Action bars: Dominos.
I've been using this forever. It's highly customizable and configurable, can have hundreds of buttons in totally custom layouts. Mine, for example, features 36 buttons in the bottom row, 24 buttons in the middle row and 12 buttons in the top row, with an additional vertical bar at the right side of the screen.

Unit frames: Z-Perl.
I've tried several unitframe mods (including Shadowed and PitBull) but I keep coming back to Z-Perl. It just seems to be the perfect thing for me. The other mods I've tried are nice... but I can't get the exact results I want with them. So back to Z-Perl I go.

Bags: Bagnon.
This addon consolidates the five separate bags into one single large bag which gives me easy overview and access to my inventory. In addition it also consolidates my bank bags. When I reset my UI, I tried the default Blizzard interface and was immediately repulsed by the fact that I had to search for my items in five separate bag windows.

Button skinning: Masque.
This lets me apply a custom appearance to the various buttons and icons in my UI, like actionbars and bag slots. I use a third party skin which produces simple square buttons with a thin border and no pointless empty space between buttons.

Buff and debuff display: Raven.
Instead of the default small squares on my screen, I now have both my character's buffs and debuffs displayed as bars which show their durations graphically as well as text hours/minutes/seconds.

Information display: ChocolateBar.
This creates a small bar at the top of the screen which can be used by dozens or hundreds of separate "Data Broker" (also known as "LDB") plugins to display various buttons or information. For example, I am showing a clock, system stats (latency, FPS, memory usage), the amount of cash I have, my average item durability, used/free bag slots, number of friends online etc etc etc. I used to use Titan Panel, but after reinstalling it yesterday I discovered that it had an extremely annoying bug (or misfeature) which only allowed me to display buttons and info-texts on the left side of the bar, not center or right. So I switched to ChocolateBar.

Minimap: SexyMap.
With this addon I can change the appearance of the minimap and easily show/hide/move minimap buttons in order to unclutter the interface.

World map: Mapster.
Among its many useful features is the ability to see areas that you have not yet discovered on the world map. You can either completely disable the "fog of war" so the map is always visible, or (as I do) turn the unexplored-area-hiding translucent, so you can see that "this area still needs to be discovered" but you also see the map features in the hidden area.

Utilities.

Onscreen and map waypoints: TomTom.
I can control-click (or alt-click, or whatever else modifier you want) on the map and create a waypoint. Then I get an arrow on the game screen that always points towards the selected waypoint. So I can jump on a mount, hit "autorun" ("autofly") and be sure I'm going in the right direction. Even if the waypoint is several zones away (on the same continent of course).

Archaeology helper: Archy.
Show nearby digsites, artifact dig points in digsites, allow one-click artifact solving and so on. If you ever decide to take up Archaeology, this is awesome.

Outfit switching: Outfitter.
Build a collection of outfits, like "normal" (the stuff you wear while questing/dungeoneering/raiding), "RP" (the clothes you wear while RPing), "fishing" (equip a fishing pole and hat) and so on. Switch between them with a few clicks.

Cooldown display: OmniCC.
The default interface displays spell cooldowns on actionbar buttons as this weird hard-to-read clock thing where the button is dimmed out and is brightened sector by sector as the spell cools down. OmniCC adds a simple text overlay that explicitly tells you "24"... "23"... "22" (seconds of cooldown).

Improved chat: Prat.
(Noticed it in Cherwina's list and went "oh yes, of course!")
Lots of quality-of-life improvements for the chat window. Copy text with mouse. Easily copy internet hyperlinks. Configure the amount of scrollback. Use sticky channels (type a line in a channel, and the next time you press "enter" to type a new message, it is sent to the previous channel by default). Get an audible notification when someone mentions you in chat (and you can also configure aliases so "Gergel", "Gerg" and "Gergs" will all cause a "ding").

Roleplay stuff.

Character descriptions and RP flags: MyRolePlay.
Some people use FlagRSP, some use TotalRoleplay, maybe there are others as well. I like and use MyRolePlay.

Custom items: Gryphonheart Items.
Been using this in Tormeron's events. This is one of the addons whose settings I need to restore from backup, not start from scratch, because it contains quite a few memories from the past.

Just for fun.

Shut Up, Rhonin!
My own creation. Mutes Rhonin's shouting when you're in Dalaran and someone completes the Algalon quest.

Anything else?... Can't think of any at the moment. Will check once I get home from work, and maybe update the post.
What kind of sick individual burns a book full of perfectly good dark arts?!
- Darkscryer Raastok
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Shevron » 29 Jul 2016, 11:31

Oh I'm so installing that waypoint thing.

Been praying for something like that for ages!
"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."
Shevron
Resident Grump

Topic/Postby Juste » 30 Jul 2016, 08:53

Forgot one mandatory one for damage dealers Recount or something similar to keep track of damage you deal.
Stand your ground, child, keep your senses. The pain is fleeting, but victory is forever.
Juste
Halberd enthusiast

Topic/Postby Lilandris » 30 Jul 2016, 10:52

Skada is a good alternative to Recount, and rumor has it Skada is more accurate.
Signatur defekt, techniker ist informiert
Lilandris
Lightmancer

Topic/Postby Gergel » 30 Jul 2016, 18:57

Alright then. What else do I have to recommend?

Utilities.

UI error handler: BugGrabber and BugSack.
If you use more than a couple of addons, you will probably encounter UI / LUA errors. In an unmodded game they pop up in a big error frame in the middle of your screen. BugGrabber and BugSack work in tandem to capture these errors and hide them away behind a small minimap (or LDB) button, where you can examine or delete them at your leisure.

Dungeon / raid helper: BigWigs or Deadly Boss Mods.
Both monitor your current dungeon or raid or world boss encounter and give you warnings about bad stuff that's about to happen. "<Boss> is casting <Fire>. Do not stand in it." That sort of thing.

Quest log: Classic Quest Log.
Don't like the new and improved quest log window? Go back to the classic layout with this.

Achievement window improvements: OverAchiever.
This addon has not (yet) been updated for Legion, but most its functionality still works. For me, the main quality of life improvement provided by this mod is the vastly extended search capability. This also works from command line. For example, just type "/ach molten core" and you get a nice quick list of clickable links for achievements pertaining to MC.

Pet collection: PetTracker.
Lots of improvements for the avid battle pet collector. You can see breed of the pet you have and the one you're battling, which pets you have collected in a map zone, where you can find uncollected wild pets, where you can find trainers to battle with, and so on.

DPS / healing / tanking meters: Skada or Recount.
Juste and Lilandris already mentioned both of them. I used to use one of these, but nowadays I realized that I never ever do dungeons or raids with random strangers, so I don't have any need whatsoever to compare my metrics with anyone else's. So I've not installed either after my great purge. Just out of curiosity, I'm running StatBlock_DPS which gives me a simple "my own DPS" counter at the top of the window on ChocolateBar.

Just for fun.

Quest completion alert: PeonQuestComplete.
When you complete one requirement (collected 10 bear asses) of a multi-requirement quest, a friendly Orc peon voice says "Ready to work!" And when you finish all the requirements (have gathered both 10 bear asses and 10 zhevra hooves), the friendly Orc peon voice says "Work complete!"
(Oh and if you are a hardcore Alliance player, you can switch for Stormwind peasant voice saying "Ready to work!" and "Off I go then!")
What kind of sick individual burns a book full of perfectly good dark arts?!
- Darkscryer Raastok
Gergel
Gergel Cosmic Smash!

Topic/Postby Pepple » 30 Jul 2016, 20:23

I can echo Gergel's recommendation for Dominos.

I've been using it for yeeeears now, and it is hands down the easiest and most functional action bar mod I've ever used. As well as the layouts and tons of buttons, you can do lots of custom stance options for warriors, druids and rogues.

Throw in the fact you can scale it all independent of the UI, dictate how many spaces on each bar and have custom profiles with separate keybinds and it's really an awesome add-on.
Shevron wrote:(that came out larger than I expected)
Pepple
Sand Gnome

Topic/Postby Shevron » 30 Jul 2016, 22:02

So better than bartender?
Shevron
Resident Grump

Next

Return to World of Warcraft: Battle For Azeroth